“It’s Not Rocket Science, But It’s Close”: A Woman in STEM’s Struggles With Gender Inequality in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Being a woman in STEM has always come with boundaries and obstacles, from being passed over for opportunities to being in a minority of women in a majority of men. It is hard to be a woman in STEM, but I have overcome a lot of difficulty with my ethnicity and my gender throughout my life, so I know I can persevere through it.

The most important thing I found is support and people who I can depend on. With my friends, we have all been able to support each other and make sure that we are all doing well mentally. The instances of discrimination and gender inequality don’t have to happen often, but when they do, they leave a lasting mark that affects my psyche for a while after. The first time it happened, I was in lab, and my ability to do an experiment was doubted while I was already completing the experiment and was helping others around me. The question did not affect me until after I left the lab, and I started thinking about why he doubted me. I tried so hard to prove that I was capable until I realized that that was counterproductive. Who was I proving myself to? The only person that needed to know that I could do it was me, and I already knew it. It took an entire semester for me to get out of the headspace of needing to prove myself at all times, but I am better for it. The issue with gender inequality is that sometimes it is an internal conflict or an idea that has been rooted in you for a long time. I always felt like I needed to fit in and not speak my mind, but over time I was able to unlearn that and start doing things that I felt reflected my actual goals.

Believing in myself and realizing that the questions and comments made towards me as a woman in STEM came from a place of ignorance allowed me to push through and keep doing what made me happy and helped me pursue my goals. There are lots of obstacles that were and will continue to be in my path, but I have learned to work around them and surround myself with people who I know will support me and who I can also support. Gender inequality can be seen in different forms, and it is so important to know that you are doing your best and that the people who make these comments do not know you or what you can do.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Nandini Kritam

U Mass Amherst '25

Nandini is a junior Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major, who loves writing, listening to music, photography, and drawing. She loves finding niche topics and writing about the world and her experiences!