It’s a Woman’s 2D World: 5 Manga-Turned-Anime Series Created By Women, For Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The popularity of manga/anime has been on rise for years, especially after the easy access to them on OTT platforms like Netflix, Hulu, etc. As an avid manga reader and anime viewer, I’ve noticed that a lot of action/mystery series (or genres that are usually not romance) seem to target primarily target the male audience. While I still enjoy them thoroughly, nothing beats the way women write stories and characters. So, here are five Manga/Anime series created by women, for women.

Black Butler by Yana Toboso

Black Butler is a supernatural/action/historical series set in Victorian-era London. The story follows 12-year-old Ciel Phantomhive and his demon butler, Sebastian. Ciel is out to get revenge for his parent’s murder using his family name, influence, money, and of course, the all-powerful Sebastian. This series is action-packed, dark and suspenseful, but does not lack a good chunk of wholesome and comedic moments. The animation is really pretty with interesting male and female characters.

Violet Evergarden by Kana Akatsuki

Violet Evergarden follows the story of a young girl by the same name, who was profusely trained in battle and is seen as nothing but a tool of war. She is “gifted” to Major Gilbert, who raises her like he would his own child and teaches her everyday tasks and activities, like reading and writing. The major portion of the story takes place after the war, and we see Violet develop human qualities, like love and empathy. This series is beautiful, both in story and animation. It tugs at your heartstrings and is sure to make you shed tears throughout the show.

Noragami by Adachitoka

Noragami revolves around Yato, a god, Yukine, his familiar, and Hiyori, a young high schooler, who just happens to get tied up in Yato’s world of the supernatural. This series has the perfect balance of a fast-paced and action-packed storyline, hilarious comedy, loveable side characters, and a splash of swoon-worthy romance! Not to mention, beautiful depictions of Japanese culture and traditions that also tie into other Asian cultures!

Cells at Work by Akane Shimizu

Cells at Work is a comedy series revolving around the cells, and organs inside a human body. The body acts as a country that literally houses cells, which all have their designated “jobs” in “society.” Red Blood Cell is our main character and it’s so fun to see her and the other cells’ day-to-day shenanigans. We see actual battles with bacteria and viruses, and it’s nostalgic to see our high school biology lessons come to life!

Yona of the Dawn by Mizuho Kusanagi

Yona of the Dawn is a historical Edo-era series with dragons, warriors, and magic. Yona is the young Princess of Kouka, but her world comes crashing down one night when a tragic act of treason is committed against her kingdom. She forms alliances with dragon “souls,” in order to rightfully take the throne to her kingdom. Yona is a determined and dedicated girl, and is a steadfast friend to her allies. This is another beautifully animated, action-packed show and Yona is sure to win your hearts!

Female creators are truly amazing and deserve more recognition. These are some of the series that I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend. Which of these is your favorite?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Pooja Panuganti

U Mass Amherst '24

Pooja is a sophomore business major and YA romance books are her guilty pleasure!