Iconic Female Film Characters We Can Never Forget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether unconsciously or consciously, we have all looked up to film characters. We’ve seen ourselves mirrored in the way they act or speak, or in the choices and sacrifices they make on-screen. As a little Indian girl, I searched for diverse faces onscreen and found the first character that I truly admired to be Fa Mulan from Disney’s Mulan. My love for movies and the rich casts that we have seen emerge in the Hollywood scene inspired me to compile a list of iconic film characters that have personally decorated my life with their wit, intelligence, bravery, and unforgettable personalities. Spanning a wide genre of movies, here are my personal picks for iconic female film characters that refuse to be swept under the rug of time.

Note: Opinions are entirely my own.

Hermione Granger, Harry Potter

I think we can all say we were spellbound by Hermione, whether we were die-hard Harry Potter fans or not. I loved that Hermione was featured for her brilliance and bravery, always keeping Harry and Ron in line and never refusing to sit still and be left out of the chaos. Played by the beautiful and talented Emma Watson, her loyalty to her friends and her refusal to be pushed around by bullies were great lessons that her character taught to Harry Potter fans all over the world.

Miranda Priestley, The Devil Wears Prada

Two words: Meryl. Streep. Meryl Streep delivers an exacting, irresistible performance as Priestley, an esteemed fashion designer and editor-in-chief of Runway magazine. Despite seeming cold-hearted and detached from everyone else around her, Priestley aims for brilliance and perfection and accepts nothing else. She is devoted to her work and is always prepared for any situation. Although Priestley was a tough character to like at times, there was no doubt that her iconic line rings true: “Everybody wants to be us.” If any character should teach you to work hard until you’re living your dream, it should be Miranda Priestley.

Elizabeth Bennet, Pride & Prejudice

Keira Knightley played Lizzie Bennet just the way I imagined her to be from reading the books. Lizzie was outspoken, bold, intelligent, and always had a witty remark on her. Her love for her family and the unapologetic way she stood out from other girls around her made a mark not only on Mr. Darcy, but on everyone that watched the movie and stood in awe of her charming repartee and gentle teasing of her soon-to-be lover. Lizzie is independent, confident in herself (at times bordering on arrogance, but this is remedied as the film goes on), and finds her identity solely in herself rather than in seeking a man. Lizzie, in both the book and film versions, redefined what it meant to be a girl in that era. With her ferocious independence and iconic love of walking through the stillness lost in thought, Elizabeth Bennet certainly made an impression on the heart of every romantic.

Jess Bhamra, Bend It Like Beckham

This movie, for me, was revolutionary. For a little Indian girl growing up looking for Indian representation onscreen, the closest thing I could find was Disney’s Princess Jasmine, who wasn’t even Indian. Watching Bend it Like Beckham showed me a bold, determined Indian girl – who for the first time wasn’t portrayed as a nerd who only existed as a side character with her nose constantly buried into a textbook. Jess was a dreamer, a visionary, and an extremely talented soccer player – and the film did a wonderful job showing how she balanced her love for sports with her loyalty to her family. Jess taught me from a young age that it is okay to follow your dreams and bend the walls of the box people try to place you in and redefine the expectations of those around you.

Starr Carter, The Hate U Give  

This movie gave me such insights into the Black Lives Matter movement and the pain that comes from the mistrust and oppression that Black people have to face. Made into a film after the book of the same name, Amandla Stenberg gives a jaw-dropping performance as Starr Carter, who was forced to watch the police unfairly murder her best friend Khalil during a car ride home after a party. Watching Starr move past the fear and the shame and shout for justice and for freedom during a peaceful protest for Khalil gave me chills. As Starr found her voice, she gave it to so many people who held back due to their own worries. The movie was impactful particularly due to the strength with which Amandla Stenberg portrayed Starr, an unforgettable character who chose to tell her story despite backlash from the community and tensions with her friends.  

Other notable mentions include: Princess Leia from Star Wars, Jo March from Little Women, Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games, Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, Maria von Trapp from The Sound of Music, Sara Crewe from A Little Princess, Erin Brockovich from Erin Brockovich, Regina George from Mean Girls, Juno MacGuff from Juno, and Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Rachel Prince

U Mass Amherst '22

Rachel Prince is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is part of the Honors College, majoring in Neuroscience with the hope of becoming a doctor later in life. She loves playing the piano, creative writing, singing, and riding her bike at sunset. When she is not busy hanging out with her friends, she is planning out her next roadtrip, creating smoothie recipes, or trying to a find a new book to read.