katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Travel on a Budget While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Chances are that you have at least one Facebook friend who has gone abroad for a semester. And while you’re creeping through their pictures (caught ya), you can’t help but think, “Are they ever actually at school?” Well, collegiettes, depending on your major, the answer to that question could very well be no, not really! If you’re studying English, business, or social sciences, you probably won’t have class more than three days a week. Us science lovers generally aren’t so lucky (4, sometimes 5 days…it’s not fair!), but we make it work. 

You’re in some new beautiful country and there are so many things to see! So if you have few classes (or just don’t go) and very little work (or just don’t do it), there’s so much free time to do whatever you want! Forget about napping and wasting hours on Facebook and Tumblr – go explore. It doesn’t matter where on this planet you’re studying; get your schedule set, get out your calendar, and start filling up your weekends and other days off with fun excursions.

Plane

Your flight from home to your new digs was probably pretty pricey. But, in places like Europe, there are tons of budget airlines and websites to help you get from point A to point B without totally breaking the bank. Flying within Europe is pretty affordable; flying out of the UK can be a little bit more pricey, but still way cheaper than flying around the US! The 3 big budget airlines in Europe are Ryanair, easyJet, and Jet2. If you can be flexible with your travel dates and book during promotional periods, you can get some crazy deals ($50 round trip to Dublin, anyone?) Pack light, because they charge hefty luggage fees in order to keep ticket prices so low. Some of them are extending operations to the US starting in 2014, so keep an eye out for them!

Skyscanner is another awesome website. Type in your cities and dates, and it’ll search tons of airlines for those flights, and will also compare prices to other sites like BudgetAir and Expedia. Or, just type in your departing city and find the cheapest flights to, well, anywhere for your selected dates. You can even look at an entire month calendar to find the best prices.

Bus/Train

For slower but more scenic and cheaper travel, buses and trains are always a great option. Megabus, Eurolines, Eurorail, and National Rail are just a few of the companies operating all over Europe and the UK. Book early and check out memberships for frequent travelers, such as RailCard and Coachcard, to get deals! Getting together a group of your friends can make these long trips pretty fun and helps pass the time.

Boat

If you’re not one to get seasick and aren’t afraid of a little water, there are some really cool ferries that sail between ports on the North Sea pretty regularly, such as Rotterdam, Dover, and Zeebrugge. Check out P&O Ferries, especially the 2 for 1 minicruise deals. Some of the journeys are overnight, so you’ll have your own cabin, and the boats are often equipped with bars, restaurants, and shops. It can be much less expensive than getting a train to an airport, flying, and then booking a hostel, and you can say you’ve been on a cruise in Europe!

Once you arrive at your destination, you’ll probably need a place to stay for however many nights you’ll be there. The cheapest option is to stay in a hostel, which isn’t as bad as it may sound at first! Some have private rooms, 24 hour check in, breakfast, bars on site, and will help you to organize other excursions. Check out Hostelworld.com and Hostelbookers.com to see all the options in your destination city.

Book early, travel smart, and have the time of your life!

Lauren Rogerson

U Mass Amherst

Lauren is a junior Kinesiology major and hopefully a future physical therapist who loves boats, the beach, skiing, social networking, and Dunkin' Donuts. But for now, she's living it up on exchange in the UK!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst