Cynthia Nixon as “Miranda Hobbes,” Sarah Jessica Parker as “Carrie Bradshaw,” Kristin Davis as “Charlotte York.”
HBO Max
Style

How To Slay This Holiday Season Like Carrie Bradshaw

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The holiday season is FINALLY upon us!

It’s time to pull out your long winter coats, earmuffs, scarves, and mittens, because cold weather demands some winter fashion. Who better to inspire you than Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City?

If, for some reason, you live under a rock, Sex and the City is an American sitcom from the 90s that centers around four fabulous women in their 30s and their sex lives set in Manhattan. Carrie Bradshaw, played by Sarah Jessica Parker, is a sweet yet sassy columnist and is highly dedicated to her craft. Christmas is just around the corner, so it’s fitting to take inspo from a female figure with iconic outfits and impeccable fashion sense.

carrie bradshaw i live here
New Line Cinema

Whether you’re attending a holiday party, Christmas swap, or just casually strolling down the streets of Manhattan, I’ve assembled four steps to SLAY the holiday season like Miss Bradshaw (minus the delusional nature of Carrie obsessing over a man who refuses to commit to her for six seasons straight!).

1. First of All, Look the Part!

Carrie Bradshaw rarely leaves the house without being dressed to the nines. It doesn’t matter so much having a closet full of designer, it’s all about the confidence and knowing how to style on a budget. A bold red lip for Christmas is my personal makeup staple. Find what flatters your complexion and skin tone. A little bit of pampering never hurt nobody! Maybe invest in a massage to ease the holiday stress.

2. Pick the Perfect Pair of Shoes

I understand if a brand new pair of Manolo Blank’s are a TAD bit out of your price range, but a good pair of heels will do the job nonetheless. See if any of your friends are hosting holiday parties; they’re the perfect excuse to get all dolled up! I think a classic pair of black heels are a staple that is easy to style with any outfit.

3. Invest Time into your loved ones

Carrie Bradshaw always made sure to set aside a lunch every week for her dear friends Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha. That’s what the holiday season is all about, after all. Ask your friends questions about how they’re doing and how their families are, because showing interest shows that you care.

“Friendships don’t magically last 40 years. You have to invest in them.”

Season 5, Episode 3, “Luck Be an Old Lady”

4. take the city by storm

“The city” can mean a lot of things. Whether that be investing in a new wardrobe and strutting around town or locking into a new, fun article idea for your relationship column, it’s the effort that counts. A trip to New York City would be wonderful this time of year, too. I suggest you take this time to invest in yourself so you feel more confident and fabulous!

And just like that, we’ve come to a close! With a fabulous pair of Manolo Blahnik’s and her three besties by her side, Carrie is ready for anything. Just make sure your Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha have their schedules cleared to slay the city!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Julia Norton

U Mass Amherst '25

Julia Norton is a Junior at UMass Amherst majoring in Economics with a minor in English. She is very excited to be a part of Her Campus and connect with the other young women in the UMass chapter. Along with writing, she enjoys reading, painting with watercolors, yoga, and watching movies.