Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix

How to Channel Rory Gilmore This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the start of autumn means the start of what many have deemed “Gilmore Girls Rewatch Season.” I think the show is perfectly suited for the fall, not just because a lot of episodes showcase classic New England October foliage, but because so much of the show is of Rory in school. As a college student now, I have found it really fun to rewatch a season where she is starting the same year of school I am. Something about Rory’s school habits always motivate me to want to try harder in school and simply enjoy learning more.

So, are you starting to need some motivation after the first month or so of a new school year? Have you been spending your free time daydreaming about living in Stars Hollow and going to Luke’s for a cup of coffee? If so, here are some ways that you can channel Rory Gilmore throughout this semester to remember how the workload of college can actually be enjoyable!

Find Your Perfect Study Location

When Rory was having a hard time concentrating on her work because she kept getting distracted, she sought out a study space free of distractions where she could focus and do her work in peace. This journey led her to find a tree that fit her back perfectly, but it can look like any number of places for you! Try looking into different buildings to find a quiet corner, or see if there are any hidden gardens with a bench on campus for you to try out!

Create Your Perfect Focus Playlist

Not all of us can have a Lane Kim as a best friend who will give us amazing music recommendations, but Spotify can come pretty close! If your everyday playlist isn’t working for you, try listening to a curated playlist made for doing homework. Another great place to start is listening to the scores of your favorite movies; they can be both nostalgic and inspiring!

Don’t Be Afraid to Call Your Family

Rory going home every weekend to see her mom and grandparents is obviously not realistic, but calling your parents multiple times a week is never something to feel ashamed of! While it is definitely important to stay at school for most of the semester, I have been known to call my mom at least five times a week! Reconnecting can help a lot when college is feeling overwhelming or you’re feeling homesick.

Find the Best Coffee on Campus

One of my favorite episodes in the series is when Rory moves into Yale and has her first few days at college. In those first few days, Rory and Lorelei make it their mission to find the best coffee on campus before anyone else, which of course, they do. To accomplish this, they try some obscure places to make sure that their everyday cup is the best they can get. As the air turns more chilly with each passing day, it becomes even more crucial to find your school’s equivalent of the Yale coffee cart so you too can warm up with a hot cup of coffee in hand!

Attend Local Festivities

After Rory moved to college, it didn’t matter that she didn’t live in her hometown anymore, she still made time to attend all of Stars Hollow’s fall festivals. While going home every weekend is definitely not practical for the vast majority of college students, try to see if your college town has any autumn-themed activities that you can go to with friends! Some common ones include: apple picking, carnivals, going to a pumpkin patch, and getting lost in a corn maze. Venturing off-campus can definitely reward you with some amazing memories surrounded by gorgeous foliage! 

These activities are all super fun to do either by yourself or with some friends! Now you have some ideas of what to do this fall if you want to be more like Rory Gilmore, so I hope you decide to try a few. When all else fails, a Gilmore Girls rewatch is always the best fall activity.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Kate Dahlman

U Mass Amherst '24

Kate is a senior English major with a minor in business and a certificate in Professional Writing and Technical Communication at UMass Amherst. She is very passionate about all things literature! When she isn't studying or writing an essay, she loves to read, cook, and work out. She loves being apart of Her Campus at UMass!