Style > Beauty

How to Achieve a Glowy, Makeup Look on a College-Student Budget!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Hailey Bieber’s glowy makeup routine has been taking the world by storm, creating a global trend of minimalistic, glowy skincare and makeup. While Bieber’s routine is technically simple, she utilizes brands such as Dior, Chanel, and Charlotte Tilbury, as well as her own brand, Rhode Skin. The majority of products from these brands well exceed a college student’s budget, making it seemingly impossible to participate in the trend.

I have tried and tested a full face of glowy makeup alternatives that will not exceed a college student’s budget, allowing everyone to achieve their best glowy makeup routine!

Face Products:

The majority of the most popular face products right now are designed to create a glowy, natural-looking base. Products like the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter and the Drunk Elephant bronzing drops are excellent products for achieving this look, however, they are more expensive options. Instead, I have been loving the e.l.f. Halo Glow Liquid Filter Foundation ($14). This product is a liquid glow booster that is created with skincare ingredients to nourish your skin throughout the day. 

How I use it:

Although e.l.f. advertises four different ways to apply this product, I have found my own personal favorite way! I simply mix a small amount of this foundation into my daily moisturizer, creating my perfect glowy, tinted moisturizer! Be sure to start small with this product, as it can build up to a very glowy finish.

mascara:

There are many well-loved, volumizing mascaras on the market that well exceed a college student’s budget! Some of my favorite mascaras that are extremely comparable to these higher-end products are the L’Oréal Lash Paradise Mascara and the Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara. For just $5-$6 each, both of these mascaras provide the most volume, as well as enhance the natural length of your eyelashes.

lash paradie
Walmart

How I use it:

Although I apply these mascaras normally, I do have a few tips that help keep your lashes looking separated. Since these mascaras do promise voluminous lashes, there is a chance they could make your lashes look clumped together. To avoid this, after I apply my mascara, I comb through my eyelashes with a clean eyelash/eyebrow brush (a spoolie brush) to keep everything separated. Another tip; if you commonly layer two mascaras, make sure you apply your volumizing mascara before any other mascara, especially before a lengthening mascara!

Blush:

We all know that liquid blush has been one of the most popular trends right now, as it gives the most natural finish that melts right into any base you already have on your skin. However, the most hyped liquid blushes right now cost more than most college students are willing to pay. My favorite alternative for these products is the Milani Cheek Kiss Blush which retails for around $10. This blush is super pigmented, while still blendable, and provides a natural blush color to your cheeks.

How I use it:

Don’t get intimidated by this product, it’s easier to use than you’d expect! My favorite application technique is to apply a small amount onto the back of my hand first, and then using my finger dab a small amount of the product onto my cheek. I begin blending with my finger and then use a brush or beauty sponge after to further diffuse the pigmentation.

The glowy makeup trend that has been so popular lately is very easy to recreate, so do not get discouraged by the price tags of a lot of these viral products. With the right technique and the right products, we can achieve this look on a college-student budget!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Angela Vignola

U Mass Amherst '24

Angela Vignola is a Junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Legal Studies and English on a Pre-Law Track. She is currently part of UMass Amherst's Judicial Internship program. Angela is passionate about data privacy law and public policy.