This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Everyone has a bad habit that they want to improve or quit entirely. For some people, it’s biting their nails, eating sweets, or using too much social media. But, for me, my worst habit is impulse shopping. There’s something about walking into a mall and being surrounded by store windows with brightly colored banners with the next big sale and mannequins in perfectly coordinated outfits that are almost irresistible. Or, online shopping where you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your own home to have ten new swimsuits shipped right to your door before summer. Although these items seem like something I need to have, oftentimes when my product arrives I realize it was only something I wanted and not something I needed. So, if you’re anything like me and need to rescue your wallet from your bad habits, I’ve listed three ways to quit impulse shopping. 

people standing and walking around at a mall
Anna Dziubinska on Unsplash
Alternative Shopping

When picking through clothing racks in your favorite Urban Outfitters it is easy to stumble upon a sweater or a neon Champion hoodie that you feel like you need to have. But, the excitement quickly dwindles when you look down at the price tag. One way to stop yourself from buying something that’s too expensive is to buy something else. Ok, let me explain. Instead of buying a $60 sweater you can buy a pair of $20 earrings in order to treat yourself, but save a portion of the money you would’ve spent. 

Keeping Your Purse at Arm’s Length

When it comes to online shopping, impulse buying is almost inevitable. You’re sitting in bed saving things in your Amazon shopping cart and when you’re ready to checkout, your credit card number is already saved. To prevent impulse shopping in this way, DO NOT *I repeat* DO NOT save your credit card number on your favorite websites. You can also try to keep your purse across the room or tuck it away if you won’t be using it, so, that you won’t want to get out from under your covers to get it.

Unsplash
The 24 Hour Rule

Like many people, I am guilty of finding a piece of clothing in a store and instantly wanting to buy it. Consumed with excitement about a potential new item to add to my wardrobe, I usually fail to ask myself “How bad do I actually want this?” And usually, the answer to this question is that after buying the item I realize that I got caught up in the moment of finding something new and don’t love the clothing as much as I thought I did. And because of this, I am introducing the 24 hour rule, where if you find something online or in store, wait 24 hours before you decide to buy it. If after 24 hours, you’re still dying to add that new cardigan to your closet, then go ahead and hit order. But, if you don’t, you just saved your wallet from an impulsive purchase.

So, if you’re anything like me, your impulsive shopping addiction is probably still going strong. But the next time you’re about to add seven dresses to your shopping cart, maybe you’ll think twice and try one of these three methods. And if not, well, at least you have seven new dresses to add to your wardrobe (apologies to your bank account).

Natalie Samson is a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Communication Studies and Public Relations. When she is not wandering around campus she spends her time scrolling through Pinterest or drinking chai lattes.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst