How to recover from a #snowtober Halloweekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This article was originally intended to help UMass students bounce back from an indulgence-filled Halloweekend. However, in the wake of this rare and unprecedented October nor’easter, we all have a bit more to recover from.

Since the middle of last week, many UMass students have been celebrating Halloween by indulging in candy, salty treats and pumpkin beer. The storm that hit Western Mass on Saturday only led us to indulge even more. Loss of electricity left students with limited access to food, especially healthier options. Food in the fridge spoiled and stores, if you could get to one, were picked over. As a result, all that we had to choose from were sodium-filled snacks and carb-filled dinners.

As we all come out of the dark and begin to reconnect with the world, we need to focus on getting back on track in terms of schoolwork, housework and our diets.  Here are some tips that will help you step away from the Ramen, chips and candy, getting you back on your #healthyswag.

1. Acceptance. Admit that you slack off and that you indulged a little too much this weekend. Also, don’t let this weekend set the stage for the rest of the winter. After winter comes spring… SPRING BREAK! (I’m excited! I finally booked my vacation.)

2. Clean house. Get the candy and salty snacks out of your sight– pack them up or feed them to your friends. Out of sight, out of mind. You can even try making a dessert from all of your leftover candy and serve it to your hungry friends at the Homecoming tailgate.

3. Restock. Most stores are open and fully stocked. Take your cart around the perimeter of the grocery store to stock up on produce, lean meats, dairy and organics. There is a whole theory about outside-the-aisle shopping, learn more in next week’s health article!

4. Hydrate. You’ve cleaned up and restocked, now it is time to cleanse. Make sure you are drinking 8 or more 8 ounce glasses of water every day (more if you are moderately or highly active). Lastly, don’t only drink when you are thirsty. Aim to stay hydrated all day to increase energy levels and stay alert.

5. Sleep. If you are tired, you may benefit from a night of recovery sleep. Try to fit 10 hours of sleep into your schedule to wake up feeling well rested and more alert. Also, try eating magnesium-rich foods, whole grains and lean protein to boost energy throughout the day. Feeling energized and alert will also help you eat mindfully and get in that daily workout. 

6. Sweat. Sweating will help you feel better physically and mentally. The Rec Center is open and the roads are almost clear, so get out of your house and get moving. Exercising can help you de-stress and will help you fight off illnesses as the temperatures drop.