This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you read my last article, you know that fast fashion is unethical, detrimental to our environment and even to our bodies. Fashion trends are constantly changing, and with our desire to follow such trends, we quickly turn to fast fashion brands that are always up to date with the latest styles for insanely low prices. Fast fashion thrives on influencer culture where brand ambassadors and social media influencers push trends so that followers admire their clothing and buy it for themselves. While it can be difficult to find things that are stylish, sustainable, and affordable all at the same time, I wanted to talk about some ways I try to shop sustainably and motivate myself not to get sucked into the fast fashion industry. 

One thing I like to think about while shopping is how many times I would wear the item. If it’s something that I’m only going to wear once or twice, it might not be worth it. I like to find things that I could see myself wearing often and not getting bored of. In college, going out with friends or to events, we don’t want to wear the same outfit every time, so it feels reasonable to buy cheaper things that won’t break the bank account and will allow us to buy more clothes and change up our styles. However, there are ways to dress for events that are more sustainable. I like to buy tops and pants that are versatile and timeless so that they can be dressed up or down, can be mixed and matched with other tops and pants, and can last me through several seasons. Buying things that can be worn for a night out and also during the day is a great way to stay sustainable, buy fewer things, and avoid fast fashion. 

Fast fashion items tend to be made with cheap material that can easily break and not last as long. When you buy high-quality products, you know the products will last a long time, so although they may initially cost a little more, you won’t have to shop for the same or similar items so often. Author, Terry Pratchett, once explained how buying better quality, but more expensive, boots could save you more money in the long run than buying cheaper, poor quality boots. For instance, if the high-quality boots are 50 dollars but can last for years and the average boots cost 10 dollars and are only good for a season or two, in 10 years the person who bought the cheaper boot would’ve spent 100 dollars on boots, whereas the other person would’ve only spent the initial 50 dollars. Hence, I think it’s better to sometimes buy clothing made with more durable and eco-friendly fabric over clothing made with cheaper materials, as they will usually last longer.

Another thing I’m trying to get more into is buying secondhand. It might take a bit of digging, but thrift stores tend to have something for everyone and they can be very affordable. Before I buy something new, I like to think about whether or not I’d be able to find something similar at a thrift store. Thrift stores can have very fun and cute items that you can also restyle to make your own. I have also found that websites such as Depop and Poshmark are popular platforms where you can find more easily find fashionable items from people with similar tastes. It’s also a great place to sell any of your clothes that you no longer wear, so you can make some extra money and also help the environment by reducing the number of items being produced. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure!

Finally, I wanted to talk about the website; Good On You. It’s a site that rates brands based on sustainability on a scale from “we avoid” to “great,” giving specific ratings to how good the brand is for the planet, people, and animals. I love to check how my favorite brands are rated and if they are brands I want to continue to support. The site tells you how good the brand is for the environment based on what materials they use as well as how their operations and supply chain works. You can also see how their labor is rated; whether they provide good wages and treat their employees fairly. The site’s last rating is based on the treatment of animals, and whether they use animal products or care about the suffering of animals. I like to use this site to see if I’m supporting ethical brands and whether they stand for the things I stand for. 

I realize that sustainable fashion is not always accessible and affordable, and avoiding fast fashion completely is difficult and sometimes impossible. But, if you can find other sustainable alternatives to fast fashion, try it!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Riti Jain

U Mass Amherst '24

Riti is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Economics and Communication. She has a passion for the arts, media, culture, and politics. When she's not writing for Her Campus or studying for classes, you can find her dancing, taking photos, or reading the other amazing Her Campus articles.