How to Fuel Your Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
A few people have been asking me, “What should I eat, and when should I eat, before and after my workout?”

My rule of thumb here: carbs before, protein after. However, there are many other factors that contribute to what and when you should eat. For example, how long will you be exercising? Will your workout be low intensity or high intensity? When will you be able to eat before your workout–do you have less than an hour? More than an hour?

Self Magazine provided some guidelines to follow in order to fuel your fat burn based on all of these factors. I have adapted these guidelines so that they are manageable for college girls everywhere. These suggestions are based on a workout that is about 60-minutes long.

You are preparing for a low-intensity workout. This entails walking, light strength training, yoga or other forms of exercise that don’t leave you feeling out of breath.

Do the talk test if you are not sure what intensity level your workout is: can you carry on a conversation fairly easily? If so, your workout is low-intensity.

• If your workout is less than 1 hour away…
    • You don’t need a lot to power you through this workout, so snack on something like a piece of fruit (apples are best) while, of course, hydrating yourself. If you are feeling a little hungrier, munch on some crackers and cheese or a snack bar (I like Luna and Balance bars).                                                                                                                                     

• If your workout is more than 1 hour away…
    • In this case, you have a little bit more time to digest your food so you can eat a bit more. Nevertheless, keep in mind that you only need a small, low-fat meal to help you stay energized during this low-intensity workout. Try something like a yogurt and low-fat granola, a few slices of turkey on whole wheat bread with fruit or whole grain cereal with milk and berries.

You are preparing for a high-intensity workout. A high-intensity workout is something equivalent to running, swimming or swimming. During high-intensity activity, you may experience that out-of-breath feeling and you should be working too hard to chitchat.

• You don’t have a lot of time to digest your food before you start moving, so avoid whole grains. Instead choose white toast with jam, an electrolyte-filled sports drink, 1-cup of dry, non-whole grain cereal or regular crackers with jam.
    • Eating more than 1 hour before your workout gives your body time to digest complex, whole grain carbohydrates. Also, remember that carbs are muscles’ main source of energy, so fueling with carbs before a workout will prove to be extremely beneficial.
    • Opt for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole grain bread, an egg and veggie wrap on a wheat tortilla or oatmeal (oat bran and steal cut oats are great too!) with a banana or berries. Aim to get 400 calories before a high-intensity workout. If you will be working out for more than 60-minutes, aim for a meal closer to 600 calories.

Following these guidelines should help you feel energized and keep you going through your entire workout, but what should you be eating post-exercise? Well, it all depends on what kind of workout you had.

• If your workout was low-intensity…
    • You just got out of your yoga class or in from your morning walk, so reach for a piece or fruit to keep your energy levels up. You don’t have a significant amount of muscle to replenish, so eat mindfully and resist the urge to indulge. Sure, you just finished exercising, but don’t use that as justification to eat that chocolate chip cookie or glazed donut on the table. Carry your good-habits with you throughout the day.

• If your workout consisted of moderately or high-intensity strength training…
    • Strength training, or weight training, causes micro-tears to the muscles being worked. This helps your body build muscle mass, but in order to repair and build those muscles your body needs protein. After a strength workout aim to consume 10-15 grams of protein within an hour. Try an egg on whole-wheat toast or a serving of cottage cheese.
  • If your work out was high-intensity…
    • You just got in from a run or walked out of a Spinning class, what are you going to eat? Intense cardio workouts deplete your body’s glucose and glycogen levels. Eat a carb-rich snack within 30-minutes of exercise. This will not only restore your lost minerals, but will improve your next workout.

NEVER skip your pre- or post-workout snack or hydrating sesh. Exercising on an empty stomach, or skipping your post-workout snack, might cause you to lose muscle and progress backwards. Improving your eating habits will improve your workouts, consequently helping you get the results you desire whether they be performance-related or appearance-related.  Stay healthy, stay happy and be goal oriented.