This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Taking a semester abroad is becoming an increasingly popular choice amongst college students. As it should be…it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! But deciding when and where to go can be a tough choice; it’s hard to know where to start. Some people know exactly where they want to go, and others (like myself at first) have no clue what they want to do! Before signing any paperwork or sending in a check, here are some things to consider and steps you should take prior to embarking on your journey.

1. Choose how long you want to go for.

Are you interested in going for a year, a semester, in the summer, or for spring break? Some programs are only offered during certain times of year, so look at what options are available to you depending on when you want to go.

2. Decide how big of a leap you want to take.

Your study abroad experience will be as fun and bold as you want to make it. I wanted somewhere that wouldn’t be too different from the United States and somewhere English-speaking, so I chose Ireland. If you feel similarly, you might want to check out the U.K. If you’re looking to try something completely different, UMass has some amazing programs in South Africa and Asia.

3. Think about what sort of scenery you want.

Do you picture yourself living in a bustling city or do you see yourself in a picturesque countryside? Studying abroad gives you a great opportunity to live in a whole new environment.

4. Consider what you want to study.

This may seem obvious, but certain majors are not offered everywhere. You’re going to want to find programs that match your academic interests and needs so that you can still have enough credits to graduate on time. Additionally, certain countries might have amazing programs for your major that you couldn’t find anywhere else. Look into it and see what works to your advantage. 

5. Remember your wallet.

Think about your budget. The cost of living varies from country to country. You should do your research now and be aware of the conversion rate and the cost of living in your top destinations. It is important to keep in mind that in addition to the costs of living and studying, you’re probably going to want to have enough spending money for shopping, eating, and traveling.

6. Visit an advisor!

The advisors in the International Programs Office at UMass are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. They specialize in certain countries and programs, and can answer any and all questions you might have. If you’re looking to go abroad in this upcoming spring semester, you’re going to want to meet with them ASAP, as many applications are due before the end of October. If you are not going this year, you have a bit more time, but you should start thinking about it now.

Studying abroad can be a life-changing experience, and you should start planning now!

Bon voyage, Collegiettes!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Allie Bush

U Mass Amherst

Senior Communication Major at UMass Amherst
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst