How To Avoid The Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The winter is synonymous with frigid temperatures, snowstorms and bad attitudes. Don’t let the cold months get you down.  Instead, put a positive spin on everything winter to start your semester off right.  

So… it’s cold. Who cares! This is the perfect excuse to bundle up in cozy sweaters, fashionable boots and cute scarves. Work hard the first few weeks of school and reward yourself with a trip to H&M or Forever21. Pick up some cute scarves, with matching gloves to make you feel stylish when trekking through a snowy UMass campus.

Another thing synonymous with winter is our desire to sleep, sleep and sleep some more. We are programmed to sleep when it is dark and wake up when the sunlight streams through the window. In the winter, the days are shorter and our bodies naturally want more rest. Why? When darkness falls, so do our serotonin levels. Serotonin contributes to our moods and energy levels. To keep yourself awake and energized, take advantage of the natural sunlight during the day. When the sun sets, keep your lights bright and notice a change in your energy.

Lastly, there are a few good things that come from snow and snowstorms. The first thing that comes to mind is… SNOW DAYS!

Second, there are a number of fun winter sports to try. Take a trip to the mountain one of these weekends and try something new with your friends (i.e. tubing, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, hiking).

If you aren’t in for hitting the slopes, and are bummed about not being about to go for your usual run outside, stay warm in the Rec Center! I know that it is a little crazy there right now with everyone adhering to their New Year’s resolutions, but exercise is important to our mental and physical well-being. When we workout or are physically active, our brain sends signals, discharging feel-good endorphins. With the release we get a rush of newfound energy and a sense of overall well being. Don’t stop moving just because it’s snowy.

Stay positive this winter with cute clothes, a little Vitamin-D and some exercise.