Homecoming 2013 Event: Nearly Naked Mile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

On October 18th, the Student Alumni Association hosted their second Nearly Naked Mile, a community service-based Homecoming event in which brave UMass students donated lightly worn clothing and ran nearly naked across campus to symbolize the challenges faced by over 15,000 homeless people in the state of Massachusetts.

“The Nearly Naked Mile is a fantastic charity run that is becoming an annual event that brings the UMass community together to help our greater Amherst community,” said senior Robert Norman, who volunteered to direct and encourage runners along the way. All donations were given to the Amherst Survival Center and will be helping the homeless across the state keep warm as winter approaches.

After crossing the finish line, junior Courtney Blount told us: “I love to run, so I found the Nearly Naked Mile a perfect opportunity to get involved at UMass. It was really fun and for a good cause!” Along with the clothing donations, $10 of each registration fee went towards UMass student scholarships. Showing off that hot gym bod and helping the Amherst community… plus who doesn’t love a free t-shirt?! Sign us up for the next run!

Katie Gainer

U Mass Amherst