The Hero We Need: Quotes From Cheryl Strayed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’ve ever wished for someone who will listen to you with a non-judgmental ear, answer your questions about life, and give you honest, bottom-of-the-heart advice, look no further: Cheryl Strayed is the answer to your prayers

Strayed is an award-winning novelist and advice columnist, and with good reason; her writing is compassionate, heartbreaking, hilarious, and filled with tough love.

Her books include Tiny Beautiful Things (a collection of excerpts from her old job as the “Dear Sugar” advice columnist for Rumpus magazine, Brave Enough (a short and inspiring compilation of Strayed’s thoughts and quotes), and Torch (a novel about a family’s struggle with death, based off of her own life). Most recently, her memoir Wild was turned into a screenplay starring Reese Witherspoon, and she currently offers weekly advice on the NPR podcast Dear Sugar Radio, which offers “radical empathy” to listeners.

Read just one of her advice columns and you’ll fall in love. Or two. Or three.

From hiking 1,100 miles of the Pacific Coast Trail by herself, to dealing with the death of her mother, to learning about her husband’s affair, Strayed somehow compresses the vast emotions of grief and forgiveness and empowerment into perfect, beautiful words. But if that wasn’t enough, Strayed’s wisdom extends far beyond the realm of books.

In search of some much-needed compassion and endurance after this year’s election cycle?

The amount of hatred and bigotry and divisive language spewed throughout the past year has opened quite a few wounds. Compassion and empathy should be embraced more often, and Strayed’s writing encourages people to do exactly that, instead of thinking in black and white.

Feeling scared?

Nobody is utterly, completely fearless. Whether you’re scared of heights or your future, Strayed always comes in clutch with a few sentences to hold on to when your palms start sweating.

Relationship issues?

Strayed gives refreshingly honest advice, and tends to steer away from clichéd “words of wisdom.” Mere crushes, serious relationships, fear of commitment, cheating, breakups—Strayed tackles it all.

Looking for a judgment-free zone?

If you’re in search of an accepting voice, Cheryl Strayed is the answer to your prayers. From sleeping with a stranger on a mountain trail to a struggle with heroin usage, her painfully honest anecdotes remind you that there is always something to be learned from mistakes.

Struggling with forgiveness?

Strayed writes poignantly about her absent father, being sexually abused as a child, and her husband’s unfaithfulness. Somehow, however, she always manages to incorporate empathy and humor into her words, and stresses that while forgiveness is difficult, it can be worth it in the end.

In search of the perfect holiday gift?

We all know the challenge of finding a gift for a best friend, mother, sister or loved one. It can feel nearly impossible to find a present that can convey how cherished they are, especially when you want to give them the world but you only have $32 left in your bank account. Fortunately, Cheryl Strayed’s books are hilarious, heartbreaking and full of wisdom. Whether you’re reading individual advice column excerpts from Tiny Beautiful Things, or being inspired and empowered by Strayed’s memoir Wild, her words are one of the best gifts you can give.

Don’t know what to do with your winter vacation?

If you do nothing this winter break aside except curl up on the couch with tea and books by Cheryl Strayed, your time will be well-spent.

Photos/Gifs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Leah Rosenfield

U Mass Amherst '20

Professional ice skater and polisci major; Lover of all things travel-related or glittery.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst