roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Guide to Finding Your Perfect Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It is a beautiful beverage: the taste, the smell, the caffeinated effect. Coffee, unlike so many other things in our busy lives, is always there. Coffee loves and serves you unconditionally, and picks you up when you are down (no, seriously, it’s a stimulant). There are so many coffee flavors to choose from, it is almost overwhelming. But fear not, collegiettes – we will find that special blend for you!

Blends & Roasts

A coffee “blend” is the actual mixture of cocoa beans that creates the brew. Roasting is the act of grinding coffee beans so they are ready to brew. Trying different blends and roasts are key to finding just what is your cup of tea. Uh, wait. Coffee.

Light roasts have a more sour taste. The Starbucks Willow Blend is a “blonde” roast, and is described as having a lemony taste with high acidity. Light roasts contain the most caffeine.

Medium roasts have a variety of flavors while maintaining the taste of coffee. The blueberry flavored iced coffee at Dunkin Donuts is made using their medium roasted original blend.

Dark roasts are bolder than the light and medium roasts. The dark roast has a stronger coffee flavor though the least amount of caffeine. The Starbucks French Roast is a prime example of a dark roast with low acidity and intense flavor.

Flavoring

Coffee flavors do not come from the coffee beans themselves. Flavoring is infused into the beans both naturally and chemically, depending on where you are getting your coffee. The right or wrong flavor will make or break your coffee experience.

Cozy and Sweet: There are oodles of coffee flavors that will appeal to your buttery, sweet senses. Almost all brands and K-Cups (used for specific coffee makers) have some type of caramel, mocha and vanilla flavoring. Dunkin Donuts has expanded their sweet flavors to include Coconut, Cinnamon, French Vanilla, Hazelnut and Toasted Almond. Make it a goal to try one of each to discover your perfect fit!

Fruity and Fun: If you’re the kind of person who chooses Starbursts over Hershey’s, you will probably prefer fruity-flavored coffee. Dunkin Donuts has Blueberry and Raspberry flavors. Starbucks recently invented Starbucks Refreshers which take the caffeine goodness from coffee beans before they are roasted, leaving an extract with no coffee flavor. The Refreshers come in succulent flavors like Cool Lime, Very Berry Hibiscus, Valencia Orange and Strawberry Lemonade.

Seasonal Savoring: Some of the best coffee flavors only come out at certain times of the year. Pumpkin Spice is a fall favorite and Peppermint Mocha is a winter classic. Stock up while you can, coffee-addicts.

Don’t fear all the fancy terms and flavors – you’re now ready to enjoy ordering coffee with top collegiette confidence. Drink up, ladies!

Kristin LaFratta

U Mass Amherst

Kristin is a senior at UMass Amherst. She can be reached at klafratt@umass.edu.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst