Great Food, Great People: Amherst Restaurants Have it All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Amherst inhabitants know that the food is worth the cold walk downtown. However, many residents are unacquainted with the masters behind the scenes. Among the roster of talented restaurants are two who aren’t always in the spotlight, but whose personalities and styles stand out in a diverse college town: Bistro 63, owned by Mauro Aniello, and Johnny’s Tavern, overseen by executive chef Bryan Graham.

Wait…. Money Bar is also a Restaurant? 

Bistro 63, located on N. Pleasant St. is wedged in between Starbucks and the local bars.Its décor pops with personality. The space is warm and inviting, utilizing spotlight lighting above intimately close tables. In addition, tiles of cool shades of blue adorn the backdrop to the seating area that keeps customers at ease. Italian born-and-raised Aniello, who has owned seven restaurants and is a third generation restaurant owner, described his inspiration and the restaurant’s personal style, saying,“[Bistro 63] is local cuisine with a global mentality.” Continuing, Ainello explained that the restaurant’s cooking style is inspired by Mediterranean bistro cuisine. “The style of cooking reflects the customer base that regularly comes in and is designed for the local provisions,” he said. The local customers, which include everyone from college students, to professors and families, are what shapes Bistro 63’s cooking style.

Aniello describes Bistro 63’s menu as being from, “two different worlds.” Customers favor everything, “From the rack of lamb to the risotto, to the Kobe burger with fried oysters, to the fresh oysters delivered from Cape Cod, to the tuna Sashimi,” he said.
Although the restaurant has an overall Mediterranean bistro influence, these varying menu items stand alone without the generalization of one category of cuisine.Bistro 63 caters to the community and although they hook their customers with their eclectic menu and welcoming design, their community-influenced atmosphere is what keeps people coming back for more.
Johnny’s Tavern is tucked behind Amherst’s Main St. and N. Pleasant St. and is the reward of exploring Amherst. This restaurant not only includes tasty all-American food with a twist; such as non-conventional truffle fries, but also has an eccentric and enthusiastic staff that makes you feel right at home.                                      

There’s a New Guy in Town…

Johnny’s Tavern’s décor is modern, with leather seating in shades of red and black; reminiscent of a hometown tavern with old-fashioned booths and a classic blacktop bar. It was designed as the perfect combination of coziness and class that makes customers comfortable enough to stay for hours.

If you stick around long enough to enjoy some good company, you’ll meet Bob, the restaurant’s gregarious bartender, who casually made fun of my little knowledge of the restaurant business as I came to speak with the executive chef during the lunch rush. Bartending since 1984, his “adventures” as he described them, which included being deported out of Oxford, England for being an illegal alien, traveling to Australia, South Africa, Hong Kong, Hawaii, and Philadelphia, eventually led him to bartend at Johnny’s Tavern. Even though Bob isn’t the chef, his addition to the restaurant enhances the customer’s experience.

After getting a dose of what the personalities at Johnny’s Tavern included, I had the pleasure of meeting executive chef, Bryan Graham. Taking a seat at the bar as if he was just another customer, Graham’s laid-back and approachable personality was the perfect example of the atmosphere at Johnny’s Tavern. His modesty and
passion for food emulated through every word, as he described his love for the restaurant business. 
 “I like to serve what I would eat,” said Graham, “I prefer doing unique dishes and not standard items… and cook what people aren’t doing.” Graham explained that he doesn’t have a specific cooking style, and enjoys cooking everything that the folks of Amherst are in to. Instead of making obvious choices, Graham prides himself on doing unexpected things with all of his dishes, such as serving a hangar or flatiron steak rather than the typical filet Mignon that other restaurants may utilize.

Johnny’s Tavern’s food reflects Graham’s personal cooking style, and the current menu is entirely his. Graham’s inspiration for the menu is current trends in the cooking world as well as what he believes will satisfy his customers.
Customer reviews on Yelp.com support the opinion that Johnny’s Tavern has it all; recently posted on Feb. 13, 2012, customer Julia B. says, “Not only will I go back to Johnny’s and recommend it- I plan on bringing anyone and everyone I can there with me.” In her post, she continues to rave about their well-priced menu items and fresh and innovative ingredients.

A recent popular dish at Johnny’s is Graham’s 10 hour braised short ribs, braised overnight and served with a demi-glass, roasted potatoes, and simple vegetables. He describes the dish as, “simple yet unique, and yet not so out-of-the-box,” says Graham. I enjoyed the company of the staff at Johnny’s Tavern so much, that I truly didn’t see a reason as to why I had to leave.

Both Bistro 63 and Johnny’s Tavern are the perfect examples of how far a little exploration in Amherst will get you and will open your eyes to so many new places. Both restaurants are generally hidden and many times overlooked by passers by, yet both so worth wandering inside. The personalities that are held within the walls of these restaurants are reason enough to grab a seat.

When a restaurant makes you feel at home, as if you were sinking into your couch with a bowl of warm, homemade soup on a cold, rainy day, you know you’ve hit jackpot. From inviting decor, to warm and welcoming staffs, Bistro 63 and Johnny’s Tavern are prime examples of how Amherst likes to treat their visitor’s right.