Oreos
Oreos
Torey Walsh / Spoon

Girl Scout Cookies, Ranked. Which Flavor Comes Out on Top?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When I was home for spring break, my mom surprised me with manna from the heavens: four boxes of Girl Scout Cookies. I hadn’t even been in the same room as those beauties since I was a Girl Scout many years ago, desperately trying to sell my sweet wares to anybody willing to shell out $5 per box. So, I was pretty psyched. When I was growing up, Thin Mints were always my jam. But in my adulthood, with my slightly-more-developed prefrontal cortex in full use, I found myself reaching for a different flavor: Lemonades. I could not get enough; how did I not appreciate this flavor in all its tartly-sweet glory when I was younger??

It got me wondering… what is the best flavor of Girl Scout Cookie? Is there even an answer to that question? If one is the best, then which flavor is the worst? Well, I asked just about everyone I know, and I found answers. Let’s end this debate once and for all.

The Best Flavors

The winning flavor comes as no surprise: Thin Mints were the top dog, receiving the most votes. What I found through my research is that Thin Mint fans are fervently Thin Mint fans; they will accept no other answer. One of my participants even said, “Thin Mints are the best. Any other answer is WRONG.” Another said, “Thin Mints, duh.” How dare I even ask? The second-place spot went to Samoas/Caramel deLites (as it should). In my opinion, Caramel deLites are way better than Thin Mints flavor-wise, and many voters agreed. Some Samoa-lovers even said that they think Thin Mints are “boring” or “basic,” and that they don’t deserve the hype. Third place, to my excitement, went to Lemonades. People who favor Lemonades are people of taste… sophistication even. We are the elites. I will not be accepting criticisms at this time. According to my participants, those three queens, Thin Mints, Caramel deLites, and Lemonades, create the supreme Girl Scout Cookie Trifecta of Awesomeness.

Cookies Snickerdoodle
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

The Worst Flavors

So, which cookies were on the bottom of the flavor pyramid? Pretty unanimously, Do-Si-Dos/Peanut Butter Sandwiches were ranked in last place. Participants described them as “plain,” “boring,” or “overly-peanut buttery.” One person even said that they would rather just eat plain crackers and peanut butter than a Do-Si-Do cookie. The next cookie on the bottom of the list was Trefoils/Shortbreads. There’s nothing bad about these cookies, but they just don’t seem to stand out among the other flavors. Many participants said they chose Trefoils as the worst flavor simply because they wouldn’t ever pick them over some other flavor. I think that’s fair. The final cookie on the chopping block was Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties. Again, no gripes with these little guys, but they just wouldn’t be many people’s go-to pick. No tea, no shade. If any of these are your fav, just know you’re super quirky and different (in a cool, alt way).

There you have it. The world demanded answers, and I found them. An important disclaimer: every single cookie on the list was a favorite of somebody. Every cookie deserves love, and I wholeheartedly support your cookie choices, whatever they may be. You do you, boo. Eat what makes your taste buds happiest. If I’ve put you in the Girl Scout Cookie mood, check out their official website to find Girl Scouts local to you, or order cookies online. You can treat yourself and support young women in your community! What’s better than that?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hanna Jane Kilduff

U Mass Amherst '24

When Hanna Jane isn't writing for Her Campus, you'll find her wandering aimlessly through thrift stores, listening to her color-coded playlists, or curled up under a blanket with her cat.