This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ladies, it’s time. The time that all of us have been waiting for since winter break…

Spring Break is the most well-known and most looked forward to week of the second school semester, with destinations ranging from hometowns to tropical islands to snowy slopes. Everyone has a different outlook and a different plan, but it is guaranteed that everyone is expecting this week to be the most fun week of their year. 

With one week until break and one weekend left, you’re naturally very excited. St. Patrick’s day is approaching, therefore, your plans for the weekend prior to break are pretty much set: a sunny day, friends, and a day-drink. You can’t miss it. And your upcoming week seems easy enough, with time to spend with your friends and at the gym getting a final pre-spring break workout.  But just as you’re getting ready for the last weekend and week, one of your professors announces an exam. Your reaction goes something like:

Then:

And then:

But keep calm Collegiettes, you have everything under control and like the responsible and multi-tasking student that you are, you find time in your easy-breezy schedule of the week to study for this exam. Plans are perfect and nothing can ruin your weekend. 

The final week before break goes something like this:

Monday: Still recovering from your weekend, you realize what you’ve eaten and decide to hit the gym. One week to shed the munchie pounds from last weekend’s past eating disasters; find a friend and you’re off to the gym.

Tuesday: Feeling pretty good from yesterday’s workout, you’re confident you can keep this up for the week. With your exam in two days, you get ready to study. So you plan another cram gym session and then you’re off to the library. But you’re so tired from your long day, that while you’re studying you fall asleep in your cubicle.

Wednesday: Starting to feel sore from the gym, and disappointed in yourself for not being able to study last night, you skip today’s session and barricade yourself in the library, prepared for your all-nighter. Tons of coffee and snacks fill your backpack, along with your study materials. You’re ready to go and you are going to ace this test!

Thursday: Still going strong after an all-nighter of studying, your exam is a few hours away. With dreams of sleep and food in your future, you’re determined to pass this exam and get out of as fast as possible. But as you’re cramming that final chapter, all you can think of is how good your bed is going to feel after this 2-hour exam. As you prepare to leave and head to your exam, you look around your cubicle and see all the snack wrappers you ate, and make a mental note to hit the gym one last time after your exam. As soon as you’re done with your exam, you run to the Rec Center and look for a treadmill but as everyone else had the same idea to fit in a final workout, finding a treadmill is an impossibility. Oh well, you’re too tired anyway.

Friday: Congratulations ladies! It’s Friday, which means today you leave for whatever exciting plans you have for Spring Break. You could not be more excited. But as soon as you’re out of class, you realize the disaster that the past week has been. Your bus is in a few hours, you have not packed, and you’re hungry and want to sleep. The easy-breezy week you had planned for yourself has become hell-week and you’re exhausted.

It’s very easy to lose track of time as such an exciting week approaches. But remember, one mishap can ruin your day, even your week and it’s definitely not worth it. Try and stay focused for the final week and remember that as soon as you make it through, you’ll be free to enjoy yourself and spend a week having the time of your life!

Irene Tzelalis

U Mass Amherst

I am a junior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, majoring in Psychology. I was born and raised in Athens, Greece until I came to study in the United States. I have family from New York and Egypt and love different cultures. I have an obsession with clothes and wish I could have majored in Fashion. My hobbies range from online shopping, to reading, to swimming, but I absolutely love writing. I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus UMass.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst