A GIF Story: The Good and Not So Good Parts of Starting a New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spring semester has started, and it’s officially time to get back into the swing of things. While you’re probably happy to be back on your favorite campus, not everything about a new semester comes with the same sense of elation. Here’s how us Collegiettes feel at the start of a new semester.

Spring semester is a chance to start over again. You know the saying… new year, new look, new you.

It’s also a huge reality check.

While you’re excited to see your friends…

You’re not excited to have to set your alarm again.

Thinking about all the homework you’ll have in weeks to come makes you feel like…

But thinking about warm weather, Spring Concert, and all the other fun stuff this semester has to offer makes you feel like…

Your social life will get back on track, because your hometown just can’t throw a party like UMass can.

Then again, your hometown never gives you hangovers like a weekend at UMass does.

You’ll miss your real life family every so often, because they love you and they know what’s best for you in the long run.

And if we’re being honest here – everything’s free back home too.

Going broke halfway through a semester is no fun at all.

But your at-school family knows what’s best for you for right now, which is usually a lot more fun (and lacks a whole lot of responsibility).

Enjoy the semester, have fun, and be safe, Collegiettes!

Mariah Scafidi

U Mass Amherst

Mariah is a journalism major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She minors in education and hopes to pursue a career in sports and entertainment journalism. She has a penchant for being overly dramatic about celebrities and athletes she doesn't know. You can follow her on Twitter @ryescaf.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst