Get Out Of That Breakup Slump: Tips to Help Ease The Transition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You’re in a rut. You can’t quite get your mind off how things ended, where you might of went wrong, or what’s going happen when you see him or her next; it’s that post breakup period we’ve all muddled through once before.

And because “just move on” won’t cut it anymore, there are some alternative and effective ways to take your mind off this recent relationship change.

Keep busy. You’ve heard this one before, but it really is so crucial to breaking free from a breakup’s tenacious hold. Whether with schoolwork, jobs or internships, hitting the gym, or joining a club on campus, keeping busy will distract you from analyzing and dissecting every bit of your most recent breakup. Get involved in a club and meet new people, or head to the gym to let off some steam. I can tell you from personal experience, a full and busy schedule is a perfect way to keep your mind entertained.

Keep tidy. Whether your space is your bedroom, living room, kitchen, car, or dorm room/living room/kitchen, a tidy space can make for a fresh and clear mind. Give your room a clean sweep and get rid of the things you don’t need. Being on top of the physical things can help you stay on top of the mental as well.

Set goals. It may be already be three months into 2014, but it’s never too late to set new goals. Eat healthier, finish work sooner, start a cleansing detox; whatever it may be, commit to it and make it a priority!

Change up your regular routine. Find a new study spot on campus, take a different route home, listen to a new playlist or change up your usual wardrobe. A healthy mind is one constantly engaged and learning, and doing things differently than usual can make that happen!

Read. T.V, movies, apps, Ben & Jerry’s – they can hold our attention temporarily, but our minds quickly begin to wander and, before you know it, you’re over-analyzing again. But not with a good book. When you read (and I mean really read), your thoughts become intertwined with the words and thoughts of the author, your undivided attention caught within the pages. Sit down with a hearty book on a rainy day, or on a clear day on campus and let the author do the thinking for you.

Write it all down. Though it won’t necessarily take your mind off things, writing everything down, no matter what everything may be, is a healthy way to deposit all the feelings, questions, and thoughts brewing in your mind. How much we tend to think about a breakup can be overwhelming, and dropping all those ideas onto paper is like lifting a weight off.

Writing everything down can help you rationalize as well. When you simply sit and think things through, you may begin to see them in a new light and think more rationally about them. Give it a try!

Find the silver lining. Lately, I’ve been trying to find the silver lining in everything. It may be a cliché reference to the kooky minds featured in Silver Linings Playbook, but it truly can help. And though it’s definitely easier said than done, it’s another way to look at things from a different perspective.

A breakup rut can be tough, but making these simple changes can really help! In college, we’re meant to make mistakes and learn from them, dump and be dumped, and love it all in the end.

Rachel Cerbone

U Mass Amherst

UMass Amherst senior journalism major and IT minor. Member and choreographer of the UMass Dynamic Motion Dance Team, Student Assistant at the UMass Office of News and Media Relations, and avid supporter of laughing at your own jokes.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst