For Gals With Glasses… Quick Make-Up Tricks for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ladies, finals week is upon us. During this very stressful time, it’s definitely more difficult to put the same amount of effort into your appearance as you usually do. Along with living in sweatpants and ponytails for the duration of the week, I have no patience for my contact lenses. Between unexpected naps in the library and out of pure laziness, my glasses become my best friend. However, because I want to look somewhat presentable, I always try to add some makeup.

In honor of finals week (and of course, for girls that always wear them,) here’s some tips on how to wear your makeup with glasses. You’d be surprised at what a difference it could make!

Just because you’re wearing glasses, doesn’t mean you need to pile on the eyeliner, in fact, do just the opposite. Less is more when it comes to makeup under glasses. A light, minimalist approach is best – try charcoal or brown as opposed to your usual jet-black liner. Revlon Colorstay is an affordable, yet quality makeup, especially if you’re just experimenting with different colors.

Although you may think it’ll go unnoticed, add a little mascara or curl your lashes. Doing this will prevent them from hitting up against your lenses. You can easily get an eyelash curler at any drug store.

Avoid powder eye shadow as it has a tendency to flake onto your glasses. If you’re going to wear eye shadow, a cream variety is your best bet. Benefit offers a great selection of cream shadows that don’t crease!

Pay attention to your frames. If they tend to make your eyes look smaller, be sure to apply your makeup to open them up more. For example, if you wear bold frames, make sure not to apply a ring of eyeliner around
your eyes because this will make them appear even smaller. Try a darker emphasis toward the outer corner of your eye, almost like a smoky eye. With some mascara, this will open your eyes right up.

Those pesky under eye circles tend to be more noticeable when you wear glasses, so make sure to use concealer. Garnier has a great (and cheap!) alternative to the expensive department store brands. It reduces darkness and uses caffeine beads to prevent puffy eyes.

Keep your eyebrows looking nice! Use a comb to brush them or simply smooth them out with your fingers. Your brows frame your glasses and eyes so it’s important they look well groomed. An eyebrow brush is also available at any drugstore or department store.

Bottom line is, you don’t have to change anything too drastically when you switch your contacts for your glasses. Just be sure not to fall into the trap of trying to overcompensate and caking your face full of makeup. A little mascara and some concealer is more than enough (especially during finals week!).

Kim Giordano

U Mass Amherst

Kim Giordano is a senior majoring in Communication at The University of Massachusetts Amherst. Kim has been writing for UMass' widely known student run newspaper, The Daily Collegian, since her freshman year and was recently named Blog Editor. She is also involved with community service programs Best Buddies and Relay For Life, as well as a member of the National Society of Leadership. Hailing from her hometown of Montvale, New Jersey, Kim loves reading (preferably with a cup of coffee in hand), live music, and a good clothing sale. Kim would love to end up writing, but whatever she does, she'll be in New York while doing it.