5 Underrated Taylor Swift Songs That Validate Your Emotions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Emotions are healthy and expressing them helps us heal. Swift’s lyrics let us know she’s been there too, and that in the end, everything works out how it’s supposed to.

1. “All You had to do was stay”

This track on 1989 isn’t her most infamous track five, however, when looking at the lyrics specifically, this one hurts to think about. When all you wanted was for someone to stick with you through a fight or have your back in a situation, and they didn’t, it’s one of the worst feelings you can experience. It can be applicable in any type of relationship, romantic or not. But finally, when they come back, you have to make the conscious decision to not let them back in. This can be difficult, especially if you cared for the person before, but ultimately you have to know you made the right decision.

“People like you always want back the love they pushed aside, but people like me are gone forever when you say goodbye.”

“All You Had To Do Was Stay,” 1989

2. “Happiness”

This underrated track from evermore is one I had on repeat for the past couple of months in order to cope with the fall out of my last relationship. Her melodic, questioning tone throughout the song wonders what went wrong in a relationship that once provided her so much joy. The conflicting emotions in the song perfectly describe the months after a relationship ending — from denial, grieving, jealousy, and finally, acceptance. This is true especially when you were in a relationship where maybe things just soured over time, but both of you still have love for each other. Though that person provided you happiness then, there will be more in the future, and you can be thankful for the experience that person gave you.

“There’ll be happiness after you, but there was happiness because of you, too. Both of these things can be true.”

“happiness, “evermore

3. “This is me Trying”

In any sense, this song off of Swift’s folklore represents how anxiety can make relationships difficult in terms of communication, effort, and overthinking. It can also be applicable to a relationship where you maybe didn’t give the effort in the beginning, and now it feels like it’s falling apart and there’s no way to fix it. This song is one that I think anyone with anxiety or has been in a relationship that has caused you major anxiety can relate to because you feel like all you can do is just try your best. The bridge of this song is the part that embodies this message so well, because even when it feels like you’re starting to get better, one moment can reset you back to where you started.

“And it’s hard to be at a party when I feel like an open wound, it’s hard to be anywhere these days when all I want is you.”

“this is me trying,” folklore

Republic Records

4. “Death by a Thousand Cuts”

This track off of 2019’s Lover album is upbeat and energetic, however, it describes the worst type of break-up: one that comes little by little until you finally have to let go. You can feel the relationship dwindling, and finally, when you cut it off, you think that that might be the end of it. However, constant flashbacks, memories, and associations can make it much harder to move on, especially if there is still love there. Even after trying everything, moving on doesn’t seem like it’s coming anytime soon. The questioning of if you’ll ever feel okay again is a feeling that is very difficult to shake.

“…trying to find a part of me you didn’t take up. Gave you too much but it wasn’t enough, but I’ll be alright it’s just a thousand cuts.”

“Death By A Thousand Cuts,” Lover

5. “Sad, Beautiful, Tragic”

This track 12 from Red is not one that usually garners recognition when we talk about Swift’s masterpieces about breakups. However, it portrays a break up of a relationship that seems like it was “beautiful,” as the title implies, but something happened that took that away. Whether it was bad or not, this relationship went through a lot and exhausted itself to the point where it could never be what it once was. Even if both people were still in love, that love was not enough to save the relationship. The hopelessness felt in this situation is something you can’t really explain if you haven’t felt it, but if you have, this one hits hard.

“Kiss me, try to fix it, could you just try to listen? Hang up, give up, for the life of us we can’t get back.”

“Sad, Beautiful, Tragic,” Red

Next time you feel as though you’re the only one feeling a certain way, take a listen to some of these tracks. They may hurt, but at least you know Swift has been there once before too.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Olivia Vadnais

U Mass Amherst '25

Hi everyone, my name is Olivia and I am a freshman at the University of Massachusetts – Amherst. I am very excited to join HerCampus this fall! I love reading, Taylor Swift, sports (especially basketball) and hanging out with friends and family. I am a management major and hope to end up double majoring in journalism as well.