Life > Experiences

5 Struggles of Being a First-Generation Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a first-generation student, I have gone through a lot of difficulties when it comes to school. Here are a few that I’ve personally struggled with.

HAVING TO TEACH YOURSELF

It’s not very easy having to teach yourself how to do your homework when you’re confused. My parents grew up in a different school system, in a different country, so they couldn’t really help me out with my ELA homework or with history. I remember my friend saying how her mom proofread her essay, and I realized I couldn’t do that, and that I would just have to proofread it myself. Although I had to teach myself a lot of things, I did have my older sister, who I’m incredibly grateful for. Since she had many of the same classes as I did growing up, she helped me out. Unfortunately in her case, she had to figure it out mainly by herself. My parents did help sometimes in math. I think the math at the kitchen table with your dad is universal.

FITTING IN

I remember being in third grade and we were going around the class saying what we did after school. I knew immediately what I did, it was the same routine every time. My mom picked me up from the bus stop, and then I went into the kitchen to eat lunch, even though I always ate a sandwich at school. The sandwich at school was kind of a filler for my actual lunch when I got home. I also remembered that it was always in a brown paper bag in my lunch box, and I’d get teased for it. My mom and I didn’t know that it was for putting a bunch of stuff in there, not just a sandwich. Anyways, I remember we went around and everybody said what they did and I noticed how they all said they ate a snack instead of lunch after school. So instead of saying I went home and had rice, beans, and chicken, I also said a snack because I didn’t want to be different. It was little things like that I’d do to try to fit in.

COLLEGE

I was nervous when going to college. I still am nervous about college. Nobody in my family has really gone, my older sister and I are the first. Neither one of us knew how this was going to work. We started UMass at the same time, her as a junior, and me as a freshman. I walked in oblivious to it. It was hard the first few weeks, but I feel more comfortable now. I still don’t understand a lot of what’s expected: how to balance out your classes, or that you should take a specific amount of credits each semester to graduate. Once again, little things like that I didn’t know about.

HAVING FUN AND SPENDING MONEY

Something else that is challenging to deal with in college is the guilt of having fun. Whenever I go out, the morning after I always feel guilty that I had fun while my parents are working hard so I can have a good future. They never shame me for going out, but I always feel disappointed in myself for some reason. It has a similar feeling to paying for a seven-dollar coffee, knowing it’s too expensive, and it’s a luxury my parents could have never afforded at some points. It’s a heavy burden to carry, knowing your parents never had the life or opportunities that you have.

THE PRESSURE TO DO BETTER

There’s this unspoken pressure that my sisters and I feel as first generation, a pressure to do better. We have the chance to go to college, have a great future and make our parents proud. I don’t want to mess that up and feel like I failed them when all they’ve done is work so hard to support my sisters and me.

Being first-generation is hard…

The difficulties that I and many others have gone through have made me the person I am today, and I wouldn’t change anything from the experience I’ve had.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Diane Da Silva

U Mass Amherst '26

My name's Diane Da Silva and I'm a sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in English and Portuguese.