This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s that time of year again! But before we can be all jolly for the holidays, we have to get through the most dreaded week of the semester: finals. Finals week is so much longer than just the two-hour time slots devoted to filling out a scantron. It is this week plus the prior two weeks. Some may refer to this as, “the home stretch.” Although it may seem like our professors congregate with each other to determine that all our assignments will be due within the same week, it’s simply an indication that the semester is coming to a close. Now for the tricky part; surviving. Most people have a hard time dealing with the pressure that comes from courses on a regular basis, let alone during this crazy time. So what’s the secret? How do some people stay so composed? The trick is to not stress. There is just no point. Stressing about a paper or an exam will not result in an A, it will only give you premature wrinkles (and lets face it, we know those are already coming from the long beach days we look forward to every summer). We know that getting a little worked up about what seems to be endless amounts of work is inevitable, so here is a guide to ensure you make it home for the holidays with none of your hair ripped out.

• Get a full nights sleep. It has been proven that sleeping helps you learn and retain information after you have already studied it. It makes sense that your brain wants a little rest after all that hard work. And like we mentioned earlier, this is also one of the main contributors to fighting off those pesky crows feet lines. They didn’t call her “Sleeping Beauty” for nothing!
  • Find time for the gym. This is a great way to de-stress and although it is probably near the bottom on your list of priorities this week, you will feel much more energetic afterwards. Not to mention, getting a glimpse of some nice eye-candy in the weight room never hurt anyone.
  • Plan ahead. If you, like millions of other college students, are a procrastinator, this is your time to change. Make a schedule of time slots for the day to keep yourself on track. Then once you’re done, you’ll feel extra accomplished crossing it off your list. Start making flash cards the week before the test, that way you can study a little bit each day. Not only will this avoid all night cram sessions, but it will most likely increase your chances of retaining all that knowledge.
  • Meditate. It sounds silly but this one-minute exercise can actually do wonders. If you wake up thinking about the million-and-one things you have to complete, you’ve already convoluted your thoughts for the rest of the day. Clear your mind and take three long deep breathes in and out, starting each day fresh. If you find yourself getting worried and stressed throughout the day, take a minute to stop and regroup. This small little breathing technique has a lot more influence over your body and mind than you may realize. Use it to your benefit.
  • Think positive. This is similar to the previous de-stressing technique. Ever heard of the saying mind over matter? If you are convinced you will never get all your work done, then chances are you probably won’t. Sometimes all we need is a little positive reinforcement; especially from ourselves. So think positive because you will accomplish everything you need to get done and most importantly, try not to stress. Keep calm and carry on ladies, it’s what we do best.
Deirdre Cusack

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior Communication and English major at the University of Massachusetts. I love music, food, dancing, my friends and family not in that particular order but preferably at the same time. I am an avid reader and have always had a passion for writing. I have an incurable addiction to iced coffee, popcorn, Boston sports and anything that sparkles. I hope to one day live in New York City and pursue a career at Cosmo.