The Fear of Speaking Out: Reflecting on Kesha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You are most likely familiar with Kesha’s failed trial against her sexual harasser, Dr. Luke, and the overwhelming support she has received (if you need a refresher, here‘s a Rolling Stone article that covers it). Through social media, people all over the world have reached out to the pop singer to send positive vibes and comfort in light of the disappointing verdict. With all this support– even from celebrities such as Adele, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga– one can’t help but realize how this is a perfect example as to why victims often choose against seeking justice.

Examining another recent event with Sony, the music company that owns Kesha (quite literally), helps us get a clear idea of just how sexist and corrupt the music industry can be. Sony released Zayn Malik, former member of One Direction, who then reached out to RCA records for his solo career. Reportedly, the reason for his departure was his unhappiness while performing music with One Direction.

“As much as I was in that band, and I loved everything that we did, that’s not music that I would listen to. I don’t think that’s an offensive statement to make. That’s just not who I am. If I was sat at a dinner date with a girl, I would play some cool [stuff], you know what I mean? I want to make music that I think is cool… I don’t think that’s too much to ask for,” Malik told MTV.

So let me get this straight: Sony can understand Zayn’s discontent in making “uncool” music with One Direction, but they can’t recognize Kesha’s pain induced by her producer’s harassment?

This injustice reminds us of previous events related to the industry, showcasing just how unresponsive our society tends to be to abusers, and even worse, to the abused.

In response to Chris Brown’s attack on her while they were dating, Rihanna stated, “When is it going to stop? When is it going to stop? He had no soul in his eyes… There was no person when I looked at him.” It has been over six years since the assault, and with Brown’s growing success it seems the world has forgiven him. Not to suggest that people don’t deserve second chances, but with all his new music with little word about his deadly wrong, it’s hard to ignore how forgiving we’ve been to hostile men.

In another traumatizing event, female comedian Paris Sashay was physically assaulted to unconsciousness near her parked car after she had rejected her aggressor’s advances. “Guys make it where you don’t have a right to say no anymore. But as a woman, you should be able to say no,” Sashay said. She’s right, women should be able to say no. So why do men too often resort to harassment and violence when they are rejected? I would argue that, to an extent, our society enables it.

We frequently see horrific events like these occur with the abusers far too often getting away scot-free, in turn silencing the abused. When society points a finger at the abused, implying things like they “deserved it” or “had it coming,” the perpetrator avoids punishment, and is free to hurt more people. Therefore, when Kesha goes against the odds and demands justice, and the system wins… well, it feels like a punch to the gut. And it’s getting pretty personal, especially for all the victims of abuse out there who are silenced. 

However, hope is never lost. Kesha released a statement on Facebook regarding the support. What she says is nothing short of inspirational.

“I just want to say that if you have been abused, please don’t be afraid to speak out. There are places that will make you feel safe. There are people who will help you. I for one, will stand beside you and behind you. I know now how this all feels and will forever fight for you the way perfect strangers have been fighting for me.” Survivors who continue to speak out and ignore the pressure to stay silent are resilient, and we should look to them for our own courage.

At the Academy Awards this year, Lady Gaga performed her song “Till It Happens to You,” in which she invited rape survivors to stand on stage with her.  She announced: “Without them, I never could have felt strong. They accepted me for me at my lowest and that was good enough for them, so somehow through the magic of their courage they made it good enough for me too.”

Speaking out like this gives victims more courage to fight against both their abusers and those who want to silence victims. What has happened to Kesha is devastating, but because she continues to work against her abuser and maintains a large amount of support, this makes me think there is a light at the end of this tunnel. We will never be silenced.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anastasia Armstrong. English Major at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst