Falling In Love With Porto, Portugal One Nata at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

During my time abroad, I had the opportunity to travel to a handful of countries and provinces outside of Barcelona — but, if I had to choose a favorite I think I’d have to go with Portugal. Now, this is not to say I didn’t absolutely love Amsterdam, Dublin, or all the other places I went, but Porto, Portugal was a tough trip to beat! I could go on and on with endless reasons as to why I am head over heels for this small country next to Spain, but here are five of what I believe are the most important! 

Everyone is Incredibly Kind

Obviously, no matter where you travel to there are going to be different customs and general behaviors from the community that inhabits that area. This being said, some places feel a little more welcoming than others in regards to the interactions I’ve had with the people living there. In my opinion, every single person I conversed with or even had a brief interaction with in Portugal was extremely kind and welcoming. I specifically remember waking up one morning in the worst mood imaginable, and I decided I needed to get out of the hostel and grab a bite to eat. I stumbled upon a cute café and while still feeling grumpy, I was greeted by the most warm-hearted, happy-go-lucky lady. The instant we began talking my mood changed and it was like I had started a brand new day.

The Colors!

When I say the whole city is dripping with fun colors, beautiful glass-tile buildings, and shiny fountains, I mean it. I walked around the city in constant awe repeating the phrases “Wow!” and “Oh my god, I can’t believe this is real,” because everything was just so unique and pretty. The old train station in particular pops into my mind with its blue and white tiled walls displaying the city’s history, stained glass windows, and elegant crown-molded ceilings.

It’s Cheap

Now let’s be real, finances are different for everyone and we all may have a different view on what “cheap” means, but from the perspective of a college student who traveled to a few different cities, it was cheap! Out of all the five countries I visited, Portugal was by far the least expensive in regards to everything. This allowed us to find a really nice and safe hostel, participate in more activities (like the River Douro’s six bridge boat cruise), and indulge in Portuguese cuisine.

The Views

The city of Porto is truly filled with ups and downs, and I mean this in the most literal sense. Almost every direction you walk in you are either going up or down, via roads, sidewalks, and stairs. While this can cause the calves to really start to burn, it also sets you up to see some of the most amazing views ever.

Hawaii Acai Bowl Smoothie Food Yummy Fruit Colorful 2
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
the Amazing Food

Last but not least, the food. Yum, yum, and did I say yum? So much food, so much variety, for so little money … I mean, what could possibly be better than that? There’s one breakfast place in particular called O Diplomata that had an amazing deal of about 12 euros for two pancakes, eggs, bacon, and the most delicious açai bowl I have ever eaten. If you’re looking for dinner, Obicà was a fan favorite in our group which is actually an Italian restaurant, but still hit every mark!

All in all, I have never-ending good things to say about Porto, Portugal and I think you’d feel the same if you took a trip. Just make sure to invite me with you!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Danica Shores

U Mass Amherst '24

Danica Shores is from the small town of Sandwich, Massachusetts located on Cape Cod. She has grown up with a loving mother, 3 siblings, many cats, two turtles, and a bird. Her interests include yoga, self-care, poetry, and taking long walks. Currently, Danica is studying as a psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Her interests revolve around medical social work and providing therapeutic practices for young-adult women.