Expectations vs. Reality of Living in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Many people believe living in Boston is extremely glamorous. I mean, who doesn’t love the city, right? With all the hustle and bustle, there are many things that make living in Boston exciting. However, you will never really know what it’s like unless you’ve experienced it for yourself. Here a few common misconceptions about living in the greatest city out there…

1. Taking the MBTA

Expectation:

“Oh, this will be so much fun! I can go anywhere! I’m a busy Bostonian with places to go and people to see.”

Reality:

“Wait, there are so many people and it’s so loud and dirty and I am going to be late because this is so unreliable. Mom, can you pick me up please?”

2. On the contrary, driving/ parking…

Expectation:

“Let’s go to the Commons and grab something to eat. I’ll drive!”

Reality:

*sits in hours of traffic*

*$25 to park anywhere*

3. Shopping on Newbury Street/Downtown

Expectation:

“I’m so trendy and rich. I am going to walk down Newbury with my latte so people can see how fierce I am.”

Reality:

“LOL, who am I kidding, I can’t afford any of this. Too. Many. People. This person just bumped into me and spilled my latte.”

5. Urban Fashion

Expectation:

“I never go anywhere without looking like Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex and the City… or a celebrity on-the-go.”

Reality:

“Just another freezing cold day, guess I’ll whip out the good old Uggs and North Face.”

6. The boys

Expectation:

“I bet the boys are going to be so trendy, polite, handsome, cultured, and smart.”

Reality:

“Oh, it’s just another Southie boy in his sweatpants, Bruins shirt, and Red Sox hat. What else is new?”

7. Parties

Expectation:

“I live in Boston, meaning I have so many friends and parties to attend.”

Reality:

*Sits at home because all of your friends live 20 minutes away and the only parties you can find are… well… none.*

8. Sports

Expectation:

“I LOVE my city’s teams. Attending so many Bruins games this year.”

(If only this baby wasn’t cheering for the Penguins…)

Reality:

“Wait, so it’s the Stanley Cup Finals right? Are the B’s definitely in it? What happened to the Pats? I can’t keep track.”

9. Exploring Historical Sites

Expectation:

“This is so amazing. This is why Boston is one of the greatest cities in the world, so much history and culture. Wow, this is truly breathtaking.”

Reality:

“Okay, I’ve been to the Museum of Fine Arts a good 10 times through field trips, do we really need to go again to show visiting family members?”

10. Tourists

Expectation:

“Yes, you better love Boston. And take tons of pictures. Wow, I really want to explore Boston like a tourist sometime.”

Reality:

“Okay, there are way too many Duck Tours right now. Just go home people. Stop staring at me.”

Boston, you’re my home. I love that dirty water.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Gifs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Viola Bame

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst