Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Life > Experiences

Embracing Rory Gilmore Season: Four Ways to Romanticize Your Collegiate Fall

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There is just something magical about experiencing the fall time as a college student in New England. There’s no choice but to appreciate the beautiful scenery and brisk walks to class and embrace the kind of lifestyle that comes with the season. If you’re anything like me, you might feel like you’re living an episode of Gilmore Girls each time you walk across campus. In fact, it hit me, mid-campus hot girl walk, that as a junior I am in season six of Gilmore Girls. If you’re familiar with the series you may know that there are seven seasons. So just like that, I’m approaching the end of my Rory Gilmore Era. As thrilled as I am to experience my Rachel Green and subsequently Carrie Bradshaw decades, I want to be sure to make the most of my second to last collegiate fall season while I can.

Create a fall playlist

The first thing I tend to do when the leaves start to change is put together a fall playlist on Spotify. From Coldplay to Noah Kahan, a fall-filled playlist is key to romanticizing your long walks to class. “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None The Richer, “1979” by The Smashing Pumpkins, “How to Dream” by Sam Phillips and anything from Taylor Swift’s Evermore are just some of my top picks for curating the perfect fall vibe. 

Binge A Comforting Fall Series

While Gilmore Girls is my go-to during every season, it’s a universal fall staple. Accompany it with a hot drink, a chunky sweater, and a warmly scented candle for the ideal autumn self-care night. Maybe you tapped on this article because you’ve already watched Gilmore Girls. Maybe even multiple times. If that’s the case and you’re looking for a new series to spice up your fall, allow me to introduce you to my current favorite. Felicity, a 90s drama created by J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, offers a moodier but still comforting take on the college experience. 90s TV is truly unbeatable, plus the fall vibes and love triangle are sure to instantly hook you in.

have fun with fall fashion

Autumn means my favorite season of fashion is upon us. Brisk temperatures call for lots of layering – the most fun part about building an outfit. Knowing I love what I’m wearing and I’ll stay warm just puts a little pep in my step when I’m walking to class. Sweaters, scarves, leg warmers, tall boots, oversized jackets — playing around with fall staples is one of my favorite parts of the season. If you’re looking for a fun fall activity, grab some friends and a hot coffee, and head to the thrift store to pick out your new fall capsule wardrobe. 

fall in love with Western mass

Most importantly, don’t forget what makes the fall so magical to us as UMass students. We are in the heart of rural New England during the most beautiful and scenic time of the year. Take advantage of that these next couple months and explore all of the sights the region has to offer. UMass presents its own unique views and gems, but each of the five colleges has its share of autumnal magic. I visited Mount Holyoke in South Hadley this past weekend and can assure you that walking through the campus felt like living in a storybook. A visit to The Thirsty Mind Cafe was the cherry on top of a perfect fall day. 

There really is nothing like a New England collegiate fall. It’s fleeting, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make the most of it by romanticizing our busy college lives in little ways. The bright colors and breathtaking views that come along with the fall season only last so long, so embrace your inner Gilmore Girl and be sure to soak it up while you can.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Isabel Persuitte

U Mass Amherst '25

Isabel is a Junior Communications and Journalism major concentrating in Public Relations at UMass. She has a passion for all things fashion, entertainment and culture. Her favorite pastimes include watching movies, taking photos and exploring coffee shops and hidden gems around Amherst!