you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dress To Impress: 5 Staple Items You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Interviews can seem extremely nerve-wracking and intimidating, especially when you have NO idea what to wear. You want to impress the people interviewing you but how do you know what will impress them? Every type of job will require you to dress a certain way. For example, if I was applying for a business position, I would most likely be inclinced to wear some sort of work-suit. However, if I was applying for a fashion magazine, I would go for the more trendy, sleek look.

Whatever you are interviewing for, you need to find that perfect outfit to stand out and feel more confident than ever!

Here are 5 staple pieces that can work for any interview:

1.) White Blouse

Whether you are applying for a job that requires a professional look or a more low key look, a nice white blouse will be a great asset to your overall outfit. You can pair it with a black pencil skirt or a pair of wide leg jeans for something less formal.

2.) Pencil Skirt

Pencil skirts don’t always have to be for dressy occasions. Yes you can wear it with a blazer but you can also pair a pencil skirt with a plain white t-shirt or even a jean top to dress it down.

3.) Skinny Belt

Belts are a great way to add some uniqueness to your look. Try for a nice leather belt to polish off your ensemble.

4.) Simple Heels

Let’s be real. You dont want to buy different shoes to match every outfit you wear for an interview. Instead of going for an over-the-top heel, purchase a classic black heel that is comfortable and of good quality.

5.) Oversized Bag

You want a bag that says you are sophisticated and ready to work. You also want a bag big enough to fit a portfolio or resume that you will need for your interview.

Make a good impression, Collegiettes!

Dani Strum

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior at UMass Amherst studying English. I love everything fashion and fitness related.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst