This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you have been to the UMass Campus Recreation Center this semester, you most likely have been greeted by crowds of people on the cardio decks and big, macho men taking up all the space in the weight area. You may also have been scared away by the swarms of girls fighting for Group Fitness cards or overwhelmed with the amount of equipment at your disposal. Well, fear no more! I’ll put all of your gym worries to rest by giving you a play-by-play of what to expect.

Before you leave for the gym, make sure you are:
1. Dressed appropriately,
2. Carrying your water (water, only) in a sealed, unbreakable container
3. Bringing your UCard along with you (because if you forget it, you won’t be allowed in.)

When you first arrive at the Rec Center, you are greeted by the turnstiles—swipe your UCard and head right in. If you need a day-locker, towel, basketball or any other piece of equipment, turn left after the turnstiles into Equipment Checkout.  From here all you need to do is hand the staffer your card, and they will give you what you are asking for. There are lockers in the locker rooms available for day-use, not to mention hundreds of cubbies upstairs also available for day-use.

Come with a plan for working out and try to stick to it. There are a lot of cardio machines and weight equipment, but remember that there can also be A LOT of people around. If you are going during peak hours (during lunch, and after dinner), keep your workout plan vague. Say, “Today, I am going to do 30-minutes of cardio and strengthen my arms.” This way, you can have a few different options for cardiovascular exercise and a million different options for strengthening your arms. If your favorite elliptical isn’t open, hop on a treadmill or ARC trainer—adding variety to your routine is awesome, plus you won’t have to wait around for machines to open up (stay tuned with Her Campus for more fitness-related tips).

Next, if you are at the gym for Group Fitness classes… come early! For classes that begin at 5:00pm or later, you are required to get a Group Fitness card. Cards are handed out beginning 30-minutes before the class starts in the 2nd floor lounge. For most classes cardholders can begin entering class 15-minutes before the start time. However, for some classes you will not be able to enter until the start time, so take that opportunity to warm-up or stretch it out on the 3rd floor. 

During your workout, fill up your water bottle at the touch-free hydration stations and grab a workout towel from any of the towel bins spread throughout the Rec Center. If you have questions or need tips for using the equipment, ask the staffers on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Also, on your way out of the Rec Center, pop your head into the Wellness Center. There are a number of resources there including diet tips, computers for research, recipes, magazine and helpful nutrition advisors to answer all of your questions.

Don’t be afraid of the huge crowds, intimidating gym-goers or the fierce stampede for Group Fitness cards—go to the gym and be selfish.  These insights should help you have a pleasurable gym experience and an amazing workout. If you are still a little uneasy about venturing to the Rec Center, ask for an equipment orientation or set up a personal training session. Finally, in the wise words of Muhammad Ali, “The only limitations one has are the ones they place on themselves.” Workout for you, and don’t limit your potential.