Cozy On The Couch: 5 Movies for Winter Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Halloween marks the end of those cool fall days and the start of the brisk, cold winter that rolls around to the Northeast every year. With winter comes snow, which at first is fun to sled and make snow angels in, but after the first snow fall, winter gets old quickly and in bed seems to be the only place that anyone wants to be. Here are five movie suggestions for those frigid winter days where stepping outside the warmth of your down comforter is just not an option.

1. Mean Girls:

Personally, I can recite every line but for some reason Regina George just never gets old for me. Every girl, and even most guys (though they won’t admit it) loves a good Mean Girls night. A hilarious chick flick, a modern classic, and a film every Collegiette should have memorized, you can’t go wrong by popping Mean Girls into your DVD player.

2. The Harry Potter series:

Slightly nerdy, I know, but there’s something about the Harry Potter films that brings me back to my childhood and warms me from the inside out. They are my go-to movies whenever I don’t know what to watch, and at least one of them always seems to be on TV. If you get really lucky, you may even catch a back-to-back marathon of all the movies on ABC Family, which happens to be going on from November 28th to 30th.

3. ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas:

From December 1st until Christmas, ABC Family brings out a smorgasbord of movies to get people into the holiday spirit. Christmas movies, like “The Santa Clause,” “Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” are just a few titles to make this year’s line up. For those days where you’re just not feeling the Christmas spirit, there are also classic Disney movies like “Mulan,” “The Little Mermaid” and “Toy Story.”

4. The Notebook:

The classic chick flick, nothing makes my blood start pumping faster than Ryan Gosling so of course I had to throw a movie with him in it onto the list. Love, heartbreak and a romance for the ages, “The Notebook” is a great movie with incredible acting and is another one that always seems to be on TV. Invite over all your best girlfriends or that special someone for a good snuggle and a good cry.

5. Love Actually:

Set around Christmas in London, “Love Actually” depicts various stories of lovers and friends that ultimately intertwine with each other. Uplifting and affirming, the movie is a chick flick that will have you walking away with a new outlook on love, life and airports. It is a available on Netflix instantly, so no need to run to your nearest RedBox or Target.

So grab that hot chocolate and popcorn and curl up with one of these films on one of those frigid winter nights. Happy watching, Collegiettes!

Molly Dickman

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst