A Collegiette’s Guide to Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Remember the diary you used to keep in 6th grade, rewriting your crushes’ name in hearts for pages on pages, hoping your siblings would never find it hidden between your mattress? Well fortunately for the 6th grader left inside you, journaling has begun to come back into style… not that it has ever really been out. Writing down your daily activities and thoughts is not a groundbreaking new idea– people have been doing it for centuries. For me, journaling has become part of my daily routine. You don’t need to be a very organized person to keep one consistently. Here’s a guide that I wish I had when I decided to start making a journal part of my routine.

Step One: What is your purpose?

Your journaling should start with a purpose so that you’re able to get everything you want to out of it. Ask yourself why you want to start journaling? In my case I was looking for a sort of diversion last summer, and it slowly turned into a minor therapy session with myself.

Step Two: What are your topic(s)?

Not that this is necessary to define, because journaling is such a personal experience. Sometimes you want to have separate journals for separate aspects for your life if you’re really trying to dive into the journaling game. Is this journal going to organize your thoughts? Get your frustrations out? Empower yourself? For me I only have one journal for my daily use that includes my thoughts, feelings and daily happenings that have an effect on me from my normal day-to-day. Your journal could focus on anything there are no limitations.

Step Three: Special something?

Your journal definitely doesn’t need to be a structured book of passages, but there should be a method to your madness. It’s always good to date your passages so you can connect timelines together at a later date. I know a few people who journal with Polaroids, so some days they take pictures and they add their Polaroids to their journal entry for a personal touch. Journaling shouldn’t have to be a chore, make your journal personal and fun! I always have a word of the day at the end of my entries, because I enjoy learning and finding the meaning for lesser known words. You could even add a quote you find particularly inspiring, or not; whatever you do, make your journal yours!

Step Four: WRITE!

Do you keep a journal, Collegiettes?

All photos are author’s.

Lover of Journaling,Food,Nature &All Things Beautiful any and all social media outlets || k_dails
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst