Collegiette™ Couture: For Now vs. Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
As college students we cannot always splurge on the “good stuff”. We opt to borrow our friend’s cute top instead of buying it ourselves and picking up a pair of Forver skinnies at $10 instead of a nicer pair at a steeper price. While saving money is totally essential on a college budget, have you ever thought that all of those cheap pairs of skinnies you buy twice a year are adding up to one really nice pair that could last you five years? Well, we’re not telling you to go out and spend all of your money, but here’s a guide to saving versus splurging on some of our favorite wardrobe additions.  

1.) A great pair of skinny jeans

For Now: BDG Jeans from Urban Outfitters, $50
These jeans are the perfect everyday pair you can wear to class or when you’re heading out for a night on the town. They come in a variety of different washes and stretch, making them comfortable and flattering. At $50 the price is reasonable for a quality pair of jeans you’ll wear all the time. Reality star, Lauren Conrad, is a fan of this brand.

Forever: A designer pair like True Religions, $275
Every girl has their favorite brand of jeans that they’ll spend a little more on. The best thing about designer jeans is that they last a really long time due to the quality of the denim. I’m partial to True Religion; I’ve had a pair for five years and they’re still going strong!

2.) Leather Boots

For Now: The Brendal Boot from ALDO in Medium Brown, $99
Winter, spring summer or fall, boots are a must for every season. Shoe stores like DSW or Aldo are perfect places to find cute boots on a budget. I like the Brendal boot from Aldo. Cameron Diaz is a fan, making them buzz worthy when she was spotted wearing them to a photo shoot. Though a bit pricey, they’re versatile and will go with everything in your wardrobe.

Forever: Frye Boots, Women’s Campus, 14G, Brown, $298
Though insanely expensive, Frye boots are definitely worth the investment. Due to the quality of the leather, they literally last forever. My mom bought a pair 10 years ago, and they still look great!

3.) An over-sized tote

For Now: Deena and Ozzy Chain Tote, Urban Outfitters, $58
Every girl needs a nice roomy tote she can stuff everything into for class, errands, travel, etc. However, for that reason, totes are a particularly abused item that can get beat up pretty quickly. I really like this bag from Urban Outfitters because the canvas material and leather straps make it sturdy; perfect for lugging around you’re laptop, textbooks and make-up bag. Stores like T.J.Maxx and Marshalls also offer great prices on nice, big totes!

Forever: Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM, $820
This is literally my dream bag; it looks sleek while still being a huge tote that can fit everything. Being Louis Vuitton, it’s a quality leather bag that will last a lifetime, however at that price, you might want to wait until you start making the big bucks.

4.) A luxe watch

For Now: Style&co. Women’s Gold Tone, $30
A watch adds class and polish to any outfit, AND gives keeps you on time. I really like the look of big over-sized men’s watches on women, and this Style&co. one is perfect and affordable.

Forever: Michael Kors Showstopper Watch, $275
This watch is on my wish list. The face is so beautiful and intricate, with little diamonds on top of the numbers. Also, the links are over-sized yet dainty at the same time. Definitely envy-worthy and it will have everyone asking you, “what time is it?”

5.) Stunner Shades

For Now: Forever21 Aviators, $5.80
Aviators are a timeless pair of shades. Because of their unique shape they look good on pretty much everyone. With all of the daytime activities spring and summer have to offer, you may not want to worry about crushing your sunglasses, making a cheap pair from Forever a fabulous find.

Forever: Ray-Ban Large Metal Gold Aviators, $139
Ray-Ban is the creator of Aviators, making their brand the go-to whenever a good pair is necessary. The color of the shades are perfect and the gold rims complement every wardrobe. Ray-Ban’s are extremely reliable making them an obvious choice when you want to splurge.

Caroline Bagby is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Journalism and minoring in Spanish. She spent her summer interning at Kiss FM for Boston's #1 hit radio show and getting owned by the restaurant where she waited tables. She is now double interning for Her Campus and for ABC40 in Springfield, MA where she is working as a broadcast news intern. Caroline hopes to one day make a name for herself in the production industry. She enjoys spending the money she doesn't have, bubbletinis, watching movies, writing, and surrounding herself with friends and family.