The Clothes We Wear That Boys Hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When I get ready for school in the morning, I find that I tend to dress more for myself than anyone else. As I throw a pashima scarf around my neck, I don’t anticipate that the boy sitting next to me in lecture is going to find it particularly sexy. I wear it because I like it; I wear the clothes that I do because I feel good in them. When the weekend rolls around however, I find a difference in my reasoning when it comes to outfit selection. Of course, I still wear what I like and feel comfortable in, but I find myself dressing more for the taste of a boy. You can’t deny: many of us do this. We may act like we don’t care what boys think of our clothing, but some days, we can’t help but want that kind of approval. So, in case you’re ever feeling in one of those moods, here are some looks to avoid that boys just can’t stand (and trust me, they were pretty passionate about some!).

1.) Leggings

All 12 boys that I talked to mentioned the North Face, Ugg, legging look with clear disgust. Listen, I get it. Maybe you were up all night studying for an exam, and you can’t even fathom putting on jeans. Leggings are the most comfortable, slightly acceptable, bottom choice a girl can wear. But ladies, the guys say, tone it down. Let’s use leggings in moderation and most definitely stop wearing them as pants. However, if you’re going to wear leggings, you at least need to make sure your butt is covered – almost every pair is see-through!

2.) Uggs

Every guy on my fashion panel thought he was oh-so-clever by saying Uggs are “ugg-ly”. As tired a joke it is, these comedians are onto something. Comfortable or not, this trend ended years ago, yet somehow, Southwest is now synonymous with the furry boot. You may want to re-think your choice in footwear if you find yourself wearing Uggs everyday. Other styles of boots do exist, I swear!

3.) Flared Jeans

We may think this trend is a good look, but males most certainly do not.
Described as “the ones where they are loose at the bottoms. [expletive] those things”. If you’re trying to impress a male with this look, try again.

4.) North Face Jackets

I can’t even disagree with them on this one; the North Face was an item of clothing unanimously hated by my group of boys. I initially bought this jacket when I was in the 7th grade and like the Ugg trend, was sure it would die out.
Boy was I wrong. Guys hate this very common and unoriginal look. Interestingly enough, I was also told that the brown North Faces jackets, specifically, look like poop. Huh.

5.) Harem Pants (Drop Crop Pants)

My good friend wore these out last weekend and although I love her dearly, I’m not sure if she was dressing for anyone but herself on Friday night.
 A guy friend of mine promptly approached me, wide eyed, asking what she was wearing. Drop crop pants are never sexy.

6.) Running Shoes and jeans

Now I know that boys are guilty of doing this. New Balance running sneaks and jeans? Really? Apparently guys wear the look, but hate it on girls. If I’m beinghonest, I’m not the biggest fan either.

7.) Dresses over jeans

I’m not sure I’ve even seen this look since middle school, but just as a disclaimer: boys do not think this is sexy.

8.) Granny Panties

I hope you never find yourself in a situation that involves a guy seeing you in granny panties, (if you even own any).
It was made very clear to me that guys are very turned off by this, just to state the obvious.

In the end, it’s helpful to know what exactly turns off guys, (if you even care,) but remember that the most important person to dress for is yourself! (However, if you DO own multiple articles of number 8, a la Bridget Jones, maybe re-think that choice!) 

Kim Giordano

U Mass Amherst

Kim Giordano is a senior majoring in Communication at The University of Massachusetts Amherst. Kim has been writing for UMass' widely known student run newspaper, The Daily Collegian, since her freshman year and was recently named Blog Editor. She is also involved with community service programs Best Buddies and Relay For Life, as well as a member of the National Society of Leadership. Hailing from her hometown of Montvale, New Jersey, Kim loves reading (preferably with a cup of coffee in hand), live music, and a good clothing sale. Kim would love to end up writing, but whatever she does, she'll be in New York while doing it.