jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie: Dani Zessoules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Campus Cutie: Dani Zessoules 

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Beverly, MA

Major: Economics / Political Science

Current Residence: Baker in Central

Relationship Status: Single

Sign: Pisces

HC: What do you like to do when you aren’t in school mode?

Dani Zessoules: Besides playing guitar and drawing in the margins of my notebook, I really like to make forts in the dorm with my roommate. Things get weird when winter hits. Other than that, I love listening to new music, talking on the phone and discussing politics with whoever is down.

HC: Clearly music is a big part of your life, what are you looking forward to in 2015?

DZ: 2014 is definitely going to be hard to top after some amazing albums last year, but I was actually just listening to my neighbor scream down the hall about a new Sufjan Stevens album so I’m super duper pumped for that and the tour! 

HC: Do you dabble in the music making process or are you strictly a listener?

DZ: I’m definitely very into making music of all sorts but most recently I’ve been dabbling with a mini synthesizer and working on some electronic music which is out of the norm from music I’ve recorded in the past. Typically, I tend to stick to acoustic guitar and vocal layering; this makes up most of the music I have on my Soundcloud.

Cheggitout: https://soundcloud.com/danjo-2

HC: Your Soundcloud has such an innovative perspective. Can you tell me what musicians inspired you?

DZ: For me, the most inspirational musicians have been Of Montreal, Gorillaz, Ratatat, The B-52s, and M83. I love to dance, but that’s not saying I do it very well. But I love it, so as much as I enjoy zoning out on my iPod to these guys nothing has inspired me more than the live energy at small concerts at venues in New York, Boston, and Cambridge. I began to realize after some of the first shows, glitter CAN pass as a shirt or that sometimes people wear full fledged fairy wings and no shoes in the middle of winter. At these shows I learned about real expression, and that has been my biggest inspiration as a musician and as a listener.

HC: That definitely sounds inspiring. More about you, what are your best traits?

DZ: Well first off, I can make wicked bomb food with very limited ingredients. I learned that this winter break. Today, I actually made a new concoction of pesto-filled eggs with hash browns and a side of peanut butter and yogurt for breakfast! Maybe that falls under being creative. Besides that incredible skill, I definitely love talking and I take pride in my ability to have a conversation about anything with any person. I love hearing about other people’s interests and passions.

HC: What’s the ideal Dani date?

DZ: We would share pancakes. Then we’d jump in the car, throw on the radio and put the windows down. Maybe get stuck in traffic and make weird eye contact with the cars next to us. We’d force the frustrated drivers to dance. We’d park at the beach and spend the whole day jumping into the ocean and warming up in the sand and jumping into the ocean again. Picnics would be involved, a walk down the beach, and we would climb rocks to watch the sky change until it gets too dark. 

HC: I might have to take you up on that date! So you’re an Econ and Poli-Sci major. What’s the best class you’ve had so far?

DZ: I really love public policy, so Controversies in Public Policy absolutely. That class, and a basic studio arts class last semester because it was one of the best decisions I’ve made at college.

HC: I’ve heard from reliable sources that you’re set on starting a school at some point, what’s the end goal for that?

DZ: Basically, ever since I’ve been lectured, I’ve watched kids around me talk about how pointless all of the information that they’re being taught is. I’ve never felt that it was completely pointless, but I’ve always felt that the way it’s been taught is ineffective for most. From sexual education to science foundations, I feel that there’s a huge disconnect between teachers’ words and how kids retain and respect information. I believe in the curious soul across all people and I also believe that the current public education system doesn’t facilitate this. I would love to make a school where kids feel comfortable with themselves and accept the way others choose to express themselves. We’re all on different levels in the same game. I’ve felt very restricted at times when expressing myself in school and while I can accredit some of that to the institutions themselves, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of that was mirrored from the insecurities of kids around me. I would love to create a place where collaboration between students and teachers is the foundation for an expressive and conducive learning space. 

HC: So at this point, almost halfway done with college, what has been your most memorable moment at UMass so far?

DZ: Easily going to see Cherub in Northampton last year. It was an adventure, to say the least. We all made it to the front row and a few actually managed to get on stage with them. It was moderately concerning as the got escorted off, but nonetheless, a super time!

HC: Alright, last question! Top item on your bucket list?

DZ: Make an all girls punk/metal/disco band and travel the world and make it to Japan and eat all the sushi and maybe make a pit stop and finally try scuba diving. 

Photos courtesy of Dani Zessoules and Sarah Robertson

Elena Lopez

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst