Campus Celebrity: Kelli Mcgarry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

At UMass Amherst, we’re very lucky to have a beautiful recreation center with a wide variety of group fitness classes to choose from. Everything from yoga to spinning is offered, however the classes with a cult following have to be cardio kickboxing. Devoted kickers integrate the classes into their schedules, which hit capacity almost every day.

In my opinion, the best one has to be Kelli Mcgarry’s, on Mondays and Fridays from 5:15-6:15. Crafting dynamic and exhausting routines each week that challenge even the most dedicated gym rat, Kelli is as motivating as she is kind. I had the privilege to ask her a few questions about her role as a group fitness instructor and got some great advice on shedding those last few stubborn pounds before Spring break! Read on and prepare to be inspired by her energy, positivity and healthy outlook on life.

What inspired you to become a kickboxing and group fitness instructor at UMass Amherst?

I transferred to UMass at the beginning of my junior year. One of the first things I did once I settled in was go to the gym and took a group fit class. At my last university there was no classes offered. When I realized that cardio kickboxing was taught at the recreation center at UMass, I was instantly interested in becoming an instructor!

Has fitness always been a passion in your life?

YES! Fitness has been a vital factor in my life ever since I can remember. My parents always had me in some sort of sport or physical activity; everything from gymnastics to soccer, dance to karate! However, the two main sports that shaped me were martial arts and field hockey.

How did you become a fitness instructor?

I filled out an application, met Jill (my boss for group fit), had an audition and got the job! I can honestly say that one of the best days in my college career was being hired as a group fitness instructor at the recreation center. 

What do you love about teaching kickboxing and group fitness classes?

There are a lot of things that I love about teaching at the recreation center, but what I enjoy the MOST is motivating people, especially women. I love helping them feel powerful. Everyone should feel confident and strong when they work out and in general, cardio kickboxing definitely helps bring out your inner badass. Seeing people feel that strength during and after my class is why I’m a group fitness instructor.  

What motivates you to stay fit and hit the gym?

Staying fit is definitely something that has been important to me since I was young. My parents aren’t total health freaks but being healthy and active was always something that they expressed as very important. As I got older, going to the gym and exercising just became a part of my daily routine. Now, I feel thrown off if I skip a day; I definitely owe my healthy habits to my parents.

You always have the best music for your kickboxing class! What is on your workout playlist right now? 

I change the playlists weekly for my cardio kickboxing class, here’s this week’s:

1. Tyga- Mothaf*cker Up (pardon my French)
  2. The White Panda- Shake Drop
  3. Swedish House Mafia vs. Knife Party- Antidote
  4. Gym Class Heroes- Ass Back Home
  5.  DMX- Party Up (Jansten Remix)
  6. Nicki Minaj- Starship
  7. Ying Yang Twins- Ai Yi Yi
  8. Get Him to the Greek Soundtrack-Chocolate Daddy
  9. Afrojack- Kickstart
  10. Supersmash Bros- Islands May Be Close
  11.  Cyne- Electric Blue
  12.  MGMT- Electric Feel
  13. Jhene Aiko- Space Jam

What would be your advice to someone interested but anxious about taking group fitness classes?

My advice would be to JUST DO IT! There is a class for everyone at the recreation center, ranging from yoga to high intensity interval training and so many others in between. I can see how working out in a crowded environment can be intimidating, but college is about experimenting! If you’re interested, just try it out! There’s nothing to be afraid of because no one is going to judge you. Worse comes to worse you don’t like that particular class and than you just move onto another one. Regardless, all of the classes offered at the recreation center are worth a shot and will make you feel great!

Besides fitness, what do you like doing in your spare time?

As cliché as it may sound, I really enjoy being with my friends, catching up and laughing about ridiculous things that are going on. My friends make me happy, so when I’m not at the gym or playing sports, I honestly enjoy just being with my girls and guys, hanging out. I also really enjoy catching up on the TV shows I always miss on Hulu. I ♥ Hulu

As Spring Break is a month away, any tips on how to amp up and get the most out of the last stretch of workouts?

Four words: High Intensity Interval Training

Instead of doing your usual 3-mile run and ab routine, throw a little something different into your workout before spring break. Quick spurts of intense movements followed by short breaks in between are proven to burn as many calories as a 40-60 minute run. These workouts are usually referred to as Tabatas or HIIT. You can Google “Tabata workouts” and hundreds of different combinations will pop up. I definitely recommend these during the last few weeks before spring break!

Any more fitness/life advice?

Looking good is not the most important thing in the world; it’s really about FEELING good. If you like the way you look, chances are other people do to, so be confident! Find something you love about yourself and work it. Being proud of your body is the ultimate workout weapon. 

In the mood for a little Campus Celeb spotting and a workout? Hit the Recreation center and take one of Kelli’s classes, you won’t regret it!

Click the link below for this semester’s Group Fitness schedule:
http://www.umass.edu/campusrec/fitnesswellness/groupexercise/groupfitnessschedule.pdf