Campus Celebrity: Diego Fellows (Homecoming King Nominee 2013)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Meet Diego Fellows, a nominee for 2013 Homecoming King! Prepare to vote for your King and Queen starting October 15th.

Alexa: What are you involved in at UMass?

Diego: I am involved with a few different group on campus, the Minuteman Marching Band, Hoop Band, Student Government Association, MassMusic (RSO) and will hopefully be a brother Phi Sigma Pi at the end of this semester!

Alexa: Why do you think you would be a good representative of UMass?

Diego: First and foremost, I love UMass. If you ask anyone who I’m friends with how I felt about UMass, they would tell you the same thing. Every day it is my goal to educate the people of the commonwealth, and across the nation on just how great an experience being at UMass Amherst has been for me, and how it could be great for them. I challenge myself to set standards when I’m out, to show that UMass is home to students of class and prestige. As a member of the marching band it is simply my duty to present the colors of UMass to the nation with “power and class”. That being said, one could say I “bleed maroon”. It’s a great honor already to be chosen for the court, and I think that my ability to connect with everyone and share a passion for the place I love, is really why I believe that I am a good representative of what we do here at UMass Amherst.

Alexa: What is your favorite UMass memory? 

Diego: My favorite memory here at UMass is when I walked onto the field at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, IN with the UMass Marching Band. Being able to perform in front of thousands of high school students and their parents was truly amazing. To be able to share with them a piece of UMass, really showed me just how great this University is, and how much people respect what we are all about. The standing ovation said it all. “WOW. How do I get to be a part of that university!?”

Alexa: What’s your favorite spot at UMass?

Diego: My favorite spot on the campus of UMass would have to be the lawns next to Old Chapel. A great place to sit, snack, study and people watch when you’re done with the day and just need a place to relax.

Alexa: What is the most useful thing you have learned at UMass (in or outside of the classroom)?

Diego: The most useful thing I’ve learned is that you can never do things in life just halfway. You can’t live life going through the motions. You have to go the extra mile, raise your hand a few extra inches, and you’d be surprised at just how much you can accomplish when you push yourself.  UMass is filled with opportunities, you just have to put yourself out there and grab ahold of the next big adventure. To quote one of my favorite movies, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get”. Nobody can tell the future, but the way you choose to respond to occurrences in life is a true testament to who you are as an individual.  Going through the motions won’t help you much; you’ve got to be proactive to be able to greet the challenges or opportunities that lie ahead.

Alexa: What is your favorite activity during UMass Homecoming week and why? 

Diego: My favorite activity has to be Multibands Pops Concert! It’s a great way to get a sampling of all the different music and dance ensembles UMass has to offer here! I love the music and especially the marching band at the end!

Alexa: If you were to be crowned UMass Homecoming King 2013 what would your reaction be?

Diego: Wow. Just wow. It would be a truly humbling. I don’t know what my reaction would be but I do know that I would be grateful to everyone on this campus who helped me get to where I am today. Be it professors, faculty, my friends and family, I would not be here without your support and your guidance. To be honest, it’s an honor to just be on the court and that would be more than enough for me.

Alexa: If you could give one piece of advice to UMass underclassmen that are aspiring kings and queens, what would it be?

Diego: To all the students who read this and want to aspire to be a king or queen in the future, remember that things in life aren’t always given to you. You have to work for them. Being the king or queen here for Homecoming is an honor. Many of the people on the court have done truly great things or are in the process of. You have the best opportunity to make a name for yourself by just getting involved and meeting people. The opportunities here are endless so I encourage you to just put yourself out there and be a part of this great campus and community. Lastly, what will set your apart from the rest is your ability to showcase leadership, academic excellence and a true passion for the University of Massachusetts.

Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.