Campus Celebrity: Brittany Turcotte (Homecoming Queen Nominee 2013)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Meet , Brittany Turcotte a nominee for 2013 Homecoming Queen! Prepare to vote for your King and Queen starting October 15th.

Alexa: What are you involved in at UMass?

Brittany: I’m actually involved in so much I don’t even know how I function from day to day, haha! I’m the Vice President of the Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting (ALPFA), a Residential Assistant in Sycamore Hall, and the founder of a non-profit called Projects for People that I’m instituting the first project, providing battered women’s shelters with food in the Springfield area, from my room at UMass.

Alexa: Why do you think you would be a good representative of UMass?

Brittany: I would be a good representative of UMass because I genuinely love UMass and am extremely grateful for the person it has made me into, somebody who is a leader and confident about their ability to make a difference if I put my mind to it, and that I know that I have support if I need it or ask for it.

Alexa: What is your favorite UMass memory? 

Brittany: My favorite UMass memory would have to be attending my first hockey game my Freshman year with my friends. I had never seen so many people in the Mullins Center and the arena was full of Maroon and UMass Pride and we won the game!

Alexa: What’s your favorite spot at UMass?

Brittany: My favorite spot at UMass is probably the Minute Man statue. It is located right in the center of campus right next to the duck pond. Whether you go there during the day to do homework or at night when you’re walking through campus just to stop and sit for a while, it really is an amazing spot. An extra perk to the spot is that when there’s meteor showers, it’s probably the best spot to watch them.

Alexa: What is the most useful thing you have learned at UMass (in or outside of the classroom)?

Brittany: The most useful thing I have learned while at UMass is a valuable life lesson. The lesson being that no matter what kind of person you are, there are going to be people that do not like you because of something as silly as how you walk, and you can’t let those people get you down. If you know you are a good person, and you stay genuine to yourself, then it does not matter what other people think of you.

Alexa: What is your favorite activity during UMass Homecoming week and why? 

Brittany: My favorite activity during UMass Homecoming week is the Nearly Naked Mile. I am a huge advocate of community service and the run collects new or lightly worn clothes for the homeless and all the proceeds go to the Amherst Survival Center. If you’re in the area on October 18th I encourage you to join the run! It’s from one side of campus to the other and equates to less than a mile and is a lot of fun!

Alexa: If you were to be crowned UMass Homecoming Queen 2013 what would your reaction be?

Brittany: I would be incredibly humbled and shocked at the same time. To know that you’re going to be able to represent your school for the year and increase morale and pride with students would be amazing and an honor.

Alexa: If you could give one piece of advice to UMass underclassmen that are aspiring kings and queens, what would it be?

Brittany: One piece of advice I would have for underclassmen who are aspiring to run for Homecoming Court their Junior year it would have to be not to count themselves out. Unlike Homecoming in most high school’s, UMass Homecoming Court is based on merit and leadership, and while there is voting it does not count for the majority of the decision. When I applied for Homecoming Court I did not think in a million years I would make it, and here I am! So, definitely put yourself out there and apply, you could be pleasantly surprised!

Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.