Booked and Busy: This Is Your Sign to Get a Library Card

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you were a book lover as a kid but haven’t fallen in love with a book in that same way in a while, this article is for you. When I was in elementary school, I loved poring over the colorful spines in the children’s section of my library. I would diligently sign up for and race to finish every summer reading challenge as fast as I could, and I devoured books within days (sometimes hours). However, throughout high school and college, my library visits became less frequent, especially when I was away from home. I still loved to read, but my reading became less frequent just as my library visits had. The solution? Sign up for a library card in your college town — or if you’re graduating soon, sign up for a card in your new home!

This semester, I signed up for a card at the Amherst Jones Public Library, which is located right in the center of downtown Amherst. A free library card not only lets you check out books, but you can access a wide range of recipes, magazines, music, movies, newspapers, and more all through your card! It was so comforting to be back in a library that reminded me of how I fell in love with reading. I found a few cool cookbooks and nature books through the librarian selection table, and wandered through the stacks in the basement. You aren’t supposed to judge a book by its cover, but that’s my favorite part of the wide selection at libraries!

With the rise of “BookTok” and countless influencers posting their must-read lists, libraries are the perfect place to try out all the different books you see raved about online. This feels silly (and very Gen-Z) to say, as libraries have been around for 5,000 years (wayyyyy before TikTok), but I still feel like they are underutilized by the 20-something demographic. It can be hard to figure out what you want to read, read it before the due date, and return it on time, especially when you’re already busy with schoolwork. However, the Jones Library doesn’t have fines for late returns, and most libraries are flexible with renewals and late returns. Plus, using girl-math,” every book that you check out of a library to read is a book that you don’t have to buy, meaning you’re technically making a profit (Disclaimer: These statements are not backed up by someone who knows what the economy is).

Public libraries are an amazing dose of nostalgia and community comfort, especially when you’re away from home at college. You could find your new favorite book, local author, study spot, or community event at the library — and it’s all free! Plus, if you’re still in Amherst in 2025, the Jones Library is planning a huge renovation and grand reopening, which will feature gorgeous community spaces and sustainable features. There’s no better time to dive into a new book and escape the stress of exams and assignments!

From free passes to the Basketball Hall of Fame to New York Times recipes and renting out instruments, there’s something for everyone at your local public library. The next time you have a few spare moments, try adding a stop to the library on your coffee run — I promise it will be worth it!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Katherine Dickey

U Mass Amherst '24

Katherine Dickey is currently an environmental conservation major at UMass and is interested in education, film, and sustainability. Outside of school, Katherine loves playing piano, making vegetarian food, and spending time outside at the beach. She is super excited to be a member of CHAARG, PITCH, and Her Campus at UMass!