The Biggest Struggles of Being an Athlete

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Every athlete everywhere has the same daily struggles, it’s often too hectic to handle to be a student-athlete, and it gets harder and harder to do both as the season picks up speed. These are some of the biggest struggles we have as student athletes.

1. You always show up sweaty to class

2. You’re always hungry in class

3. You have to pack from practice and classes, so you end up carrying your life around in a backpack

4. Your phone never stops buzzing with constant emails from the athletic department and your coach

5. Aside from two practices a day and lifting, your coaches still think team meetings are a good idea

6. Because of everything you have to do, you’re always running late to your next activity

7. You’re always buying cute clothes but only ever wearing sweats

8. You’ve tried to numb the pain of saying goodbye to your friends going out during the week because you have practice the next day

9. You’re always eating junk food or not eating enough even after your coach lectures you about mature athletic health decisions

10. You can only FaceTime your family because you can’t go home for the weekend because of saturday practice

11. You contract fatal FOMO as you say goodbye to your friends as they jet off to Cancun because you are missing spring break for training

But it’s all worth it when the world is at your fingertips and you get to do anything and everything you want on your one day off, right?

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Marketing Major at UMass Amherst in the Commonwealth Honors College and Isenberg School of Management
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst