Style

Better Alternatives to Forever 21 (That Won’t Get Sued by Ariana Grande)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As we all probably know by now, our beloved Forever 21, or where my mother refers to the clothing as shmattes (“rags” in Yiddish), is planning to file for bankruptcy after years of financial trouble. But what probably delivered the final blow to Forever 21 is the lawsuit filed a few weeks ago by Ariana Grande, who claims that the fashion retailer launched an “unauthorized marketing campaign” after a failed business collaboration. The lawsuit states that Forever 21 used photos of Grande without her consent, as well as a model look-a-like, for instagram posts and other advertisements on social media. With at least 7,000 stores closed in the last year, it’s time to say goodbye to bizarre crop tops and paper-thin denim and start to re-build our wardrobes with retailers that offer affordable clothes, but with much better quality (and less shady business strategies).

1. Zara

Once you get past the mess of a website, Zara sells a wide variety of clothing catering to nearly every style, from boho to prep. Though some items are a bit on the pricier side (relative to Forever 21), they have amazing sales both in-store and online that are worth checking out. Last time I was there, I snagged two cute skirts for $8.99 each! Another piece of exciting news: Zara plans to only be using sustainable fabrics by 2025.

2. SHEIN

SHEIN is an online clothing store that offers women’s, men’s and kid’s clothing at very affordable prices. Not only is the stuff cheap (the most expensive women’s top listed on the website is only $26), but the quality rivals Forever 21 and other similar companies. However, just like with anything online, I highly recommend reading the reviews on items, especially if you’re unsure about sizing.  Get this shirt for $10

3. H&M

A very popular mall store, H&M is easily one of Forever 21’s most competitive rivals. H&M has an edge over other stores because of their amazing selection of business casual and dressy styles at affordable prices. From these trendy patterned dress pants and this super versatile overall dress, you will hands down be the best dressed at your next internship! They even have a whole Halloween party collection for piecing together the perfect costume.

4. Uniqlo

When I was first introduced to the Japan-based retailer at its flagship store in NYC, I thought I had discovered a hidden treasure. Now that they’re becoming more popular in the States, you can find Uniqlos in some of the biggest shopping centers in the country. Uniqlo’s strength is selling your wardrobe necessities, like winter jackets and standard t-shirts, in an assortment of colors made with the highest quality of materials. My favorite products come from their ultra light down line, where you can find outerwear that practically weighs nothing, but will still keep you warm and cozy all winter. So say goodbye to that bulky parka you’ve been meaning to toss!

5. Nordstrom Rack

Though they get a bad rep for being a “discount store”, a large majority of the clothing at Nordstrom Rack are still sold at the Nordstrom mainline, but at a fraction of the price! Norstrom Rack consists of a variety of brands, including high-end companies such as Michael Kors, Lucky Brand, and Theory. They also have tons of other brands, as well as their own line, that are super cute and affordable. And don’t overlook their selection of shoes and accesories, they won’t disappoint and won’t eat at your savings.

Be sure to check out some of the places on this list to get more bang for your buck!

Images: 1, 2, 3

Stephanie Wasserman

U Mass Amherst '21

Stephanie is a current sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in political science and journalism. She likes to spend her free time hanging out with friends, eating at berk for late night, and watching her favorite Netflix shows (but mostly just the Office). You can follow her on Instagram @slwasserman_
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst