This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In this world of influencers and social media campaigns, it’s hard to know what to believe, especially when it comes to beauty products. Using natural beauty products has become a new normal and highly publicized against celebrities. Between Gwyneth Paltrow’s lifestyle brand “Goop” and Kourtney Kardashian’s “Poosh,” it’s hard to know where to even begin. Below is a step by step guide to achieving your dream natural beauty product collection. 

Step 1: Learn to balance.

When it comes to new fads and trends, it seems as though society expects you to go in all or nothing, but that’s just not the case. Don’t be afraid to mix in your old beauty products with some new natural ones! There’s no need to break the bank buying a whole new beauty product collection and if you really like a product, there’s no reason you should feel as though you need to completely give it up. 

Step 2: Know what’s in your products. 

Now that being said, you should always know what’s in your products. One way to track what ingredients you’re putting on your skin is by using EWG’s Healthy Living App. This app rates product on a 1-2 (low hazard), 3-6 (medium hazard), and 7-10 (high hazard) scale. It allows you to look up a product, look up an ingredient, search by company, and also find safer alternatives. Kourtney Kardashian has sworn by this app multiple times and let’s face it, you’re going to be on your phone anyway. 

Step 3: Start at the base.

This may seem like an obvious step, but in order to see changes and improvements in your skin, you may want to start by base products first. Products like face lotion, serums, foundation, and concealer are all things that go on your skin first and changing them to natural products could help you see a major improvement in glowy and healthy skin. One brand to take notice of is called Bioclarity. Their products are vegan and cruelty-free and the coolest part is that they use chlorophyll from plants and other natural ingredients in their products. 

Step 4: Do your research.

Doing research on your products is so important! Whether it’s using a new app or following a lifestyle guide and newsletter like “Poosh,” there are many ways to discover new products. I find it best to read reviews and hear how products work for other people with a similar skin type as me.  

Images: 1, 23, 4 

Estela Suarez

U Mass Amherst '22

Estela is a senior at the University of Massachusetts. She is a communication major interested in social media and writing. She enjoys spending time with friends and family and spending time at the beach in her home-state of Florida.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst