Back To School Tips Post “Zoom University”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The day has finally arrived! After a long 18 months, we are back on campus, in person, meeting our professors face-to-face, making friends the “organic” way, and getting back to our “normal” higher education experiences. And while this return may come with a lot of excitement and gratitude, it’s normal for that feeling to be paired with being overwhelmed and anxious. We’ve spent the last year and a half learning through our computer screens and relying on mostly ourselves through every scholastic endeavor.

So, whether you’re feeling elated or anxious, here are some tips that can help you get back into your academic groove. 

Go to your professor’s office hours.

This is the easiest and most personal way for you to make a good impression with your professor. You don’t even need to have questions prepared for them — just a simple introduction and showing enthusiasm for their class this semester will leave a lasting impression. Plus, they love it, especially after lacking a face-to-face connection with their students for so long.

Stay flexible.

If these past months have taught us anything, it’s that nothing is a guarantee and everything can change extremely quickly. The best way to cope with this is to stay flexible with whatever the semester may bring, and have a general plan for outcomes. You’ll be grateful you did in the end. 

Take care of yourself.

Self-care is essential to a successful semester. Do your best to eat good foods, get lots of sleep, get plenty of exercise, and take mental health breaks. Not only will these make you feel better in general, but they’ll also keep you healthy, which is essential in the times we’re living in. 

face mask self care?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media
Say no to things.

As we readjust to our social lives, whatever that may look like, feel free to say no to things. Whether you feel uncomfortable, are tired, or simply just don’t want to go and would rather have a night to yourself, know that it is always okay to say no. 

Enjoy the moment.

What the past 18 months have taught me is I love where I am at in life right now. I love being a 20-year-old college student, and I missed feeling like one. And now that I finally feel like one again, I’m trying to enjoy it to the best of my ability because I know it will not last forever. You should try and do the same!

I wish everyone a fantastic semester! I hope that whatever may come, you stay happy and healthy. We will all readjust to our new normal together and come out on the other end!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Sarah Walsh

U Mass Amherst '23

Sarah is a Senior at UMass Amherst double majoring in Communication and Journalism and minoring in Sociology. Her favorite tv shows are Friends, The Office, and New Girl. And her favorite movies consist of the entire Harry Potter series. She loves to workout, spend time with family and friends, and walk her puppy, Rory.