Drake Description
Drake Description
Spotify

As a Drake Super-fan, These are my Top 5 Albums of his

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I started listening to Drake in middle school and he quickly became my favorite artist — 10 years later, I am still in love with his music and artistic talent. He has remained one of the most popular and influential rappers of this generation, releasing hit after hit with ease. Although he changed up his style and experimented with new sounds more recently, the main themes of his music have prevailed through the years. From 2009 to now, from So Far Gone to Her Loss, from his first to his 14th studio album, here are my top five.

Drake Songs
Spotify
Nothing Was The Same

This album is the cream of the crop when it comes to Drake’s work. It is his fourth studio album following Take Care, and the album length, song variety, and overall themes are perfectly executed. He includes high-energy beats on tracks like “Worst Behavior” and “The Language,” while utilizing R&B sounds on “Wu-Tang Forever” and “Hold On, We’re Going Home.” He taps into feelings of love and passion with “Own It” and “From Time,” but also boasts about his massive success on “Started From The Bottom” and “All Me.” Additionally, there is the iconic beat switch on “Pound Cake / Paris Morton Music.” There are just the right amount of features, and overall, this album is a perfect blend of different emotions. 

Take Care

Take Care is Drake’s third studio album, and it is widely regarded as one of if not his best pieces of work. It is the epitome of “old Drake” — something many people say in reference to the beats and lyricism from his early years. The emotional vibe on this album definitely leans toward the sadder side, with some of the most well-known tracks being “Marvin’s Room” and “Take Care.” However, there is still a fair share of high-energy songs, such as “Headlines” and “The Motto.” There is also an amazing selection of featured artists, such as The Weeknd, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna. Although this album is a little bit on the longer side with 19 songs, it is arguably the pinnacle of Drake’s career.

If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late

This album is, in my opinion, when Drake transitioned from “old Drake” and started experimenting with a new style. It was released in 2015 after Nothing Was The Same, and it is probably the least emotional and most energetic collection of songs. That’s not to say it lacks depth — it is a project that acknowledges his major impact and success within the music industry. This is shown in tracks such as “Legend,” “Energy,” “10 Bands,” and “Know Yourself,” which are coincidentally the first four tracks of the album. Nevertheless, he slows it down again on “Now & Forever” and “Jungle.” Drake has had multiple peaks throughout his career, and I think this was one of them. 

Views

Views is Drake’s seventh studio album following What A Time To Be Alive, a collaboration with fellow rapper Future. I love this album so much for the sole reason that it reminds me of such a good time period in my life. It came out right before the summer of 2016 and makes me nostalgic for my early high school years. This project had the largest number of single hits out of any other Drake album: there was “One Dance,” “Controlla,” “Too Good,” and “Hotline Bling,” among other extremely popular tracks. While this album is a little bit more mainstream due to its overall pop style (no pun intended), there are a few severely underrated tracks that definitely incorporate his rap side: “9,” “Hype,” and “Grammys” are just a few. There are also some R&B vibes on songs such as “Redemption,” “Faithful,” and “Fire & Desire.” Without a doubt, Views is definitely a top-tier Drake album.

Certified Lover Boy

When this album first came out, it was not a fan favorite. I personally think this was due to the title and album cover, which many people found hard to take seriously. While this may be true, this album has some amazing tracks; with a total of 21 songs, there was a lot of room for diversity. Hits such as “Knife Talk” and “Way 2 Sexy” topped the charts, not to mention featured by mega-popular artists 21 Savage and Future. Drake effortlessly combines his old sound on songs such as “TSU” and “Pipe Down” while incorporating newer styles on “N 2 Deep” and “IMY2.” This album came out a year and a half ago and it continues to grow on me as time goes on. 

Drake Songs
Spotify

Drake has ruled the music industry for over a decade now. His talent and ability to craft such successful projects is proof of this. I cannot wait to see what he comes out with in the future — seeing as he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Abby Champoux

U Mass Amherst '23

I'm Abby and I'm a senior psychology major at UMass! I'm also a sociology minor working toward social work and criminal justice certificates. This is my second year with HC and I love the friendly and inclusive environment of it.