To All You Out-of-State Students: This is a Message for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Any of you UMass Collegiettes out-of-state students? If so, then this article is for you! These are a few of the things out-of-state students at UMass will pick up during their time here:

1. The use of the word “wicked”: Before coming to Massachusetts, most people would think “wicked” is a word to describe something that is evil, but it actually means “really” here in Massachusetts… e.g.:“Your shoes are wicked cute!

2. The bubbler (or “bubblah”): Most out-of-state students tend to use the word “water fountain” or “drinking fountain,” but sometimes when you hear the word “bubbler” it completely throws you off guard. New England and Wisconsin natives usually say “bubbler” for water fountain, it’s weird. Oh well.

3. How nice people from Massachusetts are: Being from New York, it’s safe to say that New Yorkers wake up on the wrong side of the bed compared to people from Massachusetts. Here, everybody always smiles and says “hello,” whereas in New York they are definitely not as friendly.

4. “Ree c’s Pee c’s”: This is how people in Massachusetts say Reese’s Pieces. We say pieces like the actual word “pieces,” while they rhyme it with Reese’s.

5. The Accent: Of course every out of state student can pick up on that thick Bostonian accent we all know and love. The broad “A” and lack of r’s in their speech truly gives Eastern Mass natives noticeability. Western Mass natives have a more subtle accent and you’ll hear it more off-campus, but most out-of-staters will pick up on the Boston one more easily in school.

Can any of you ladies relate? Let us know! @HerCampusUMass

Just keep smiling! I love hanging out with my friends, movies, and staying fit. I love Umass Amherst and hope to bring a little insight and flare into your life with some advice, tips, and tricks I have up my sleeve.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst