The Abroad Diary: Why YOU Should Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Foreign countries, guys with accents and the purest tasting coffee in cups so small they make you feel like your playing house … need I say more? This is a short and sweet summary about studying abroad featuring only some aspects that make up the entire abroad experience. There is so much more to unravel once you embark upon your very own adventure.  As I approach a month and a half of living in Barcelona, Spain, I may be a little biased why any college student would still be hesitant to start applying. However, hesitation, questions and concerns are only natural when making a decision that will have such an impact on your life. To help point you in the right direction (hopefully the country your of choice) I’ve created a list answering your biggest concerns and explaining why studying abroad will most likely be the best decision you make throughout your college career; although as of now I’m sure that standard isn’t very hard to beat.

• To Get Out of Your Comfort Zone. Studying abroad is great way to once again get thrown into a new mix of people in a foreign place. And this time by foreign, I actually mean foreign- as in; you may not know a word of the spoken language. Sure its scary, but it definitely provides a feeling of excitement followed by accomplishment once you’re finally doing it on your own.  Being pushed to your limits will ultimately help you grow into a better version of yourself in the long run.

• To Experience a New Culture. Studying how a group of people live in class is interesting, but to witness and experience it everyday is thrilling and something that cannot be learned through a textbook. When you are plopped into a country where you may know next to nothing about its’ culture, you are forced to become more open minded and accepting of differences and traditions. Why you ask? Because now, you’re the one who is different! Amercing yourself into a new culture is truly eye opening.
  • Opportunities to Travel. As if living in a gorgeous new land isn’t enough, studying abroad is accompanied by the vast opportunities to travel. To put things in perspective, Texas is a little bit bigger than France. So, if you plan to study in a country located in Europe it is relatively easy to find cheap flights to hop around country to country during your free time. Not only will you get insight on more cultures, but also traveling in itself is a learning experience. Every time you arrive at your destination you will once again have to quickly adapt to your new surroundings and their culture norms.

• “…But I’m broke.” Studying abroad is an amazing experience but can also be an expensive one. Fortunately there are some things you can do. Start saving now. Spend your next summer or two working extra hard; missing out on a few things at home will not even compare to the fun you will have living abroad. Look into scholarships that different programs offer. Even if it’s not a lot, every penny helps! Also look into payment plans where you can pay over the course of a semester, basically what you do for school right now. Lastly, do research on the possible countries you are considering. Exchange rates change constantly and some places are a lot more expensive to live in than others, even between cities of the same country. Asking the rents for a little help never hurt anyone either. I mean you are going there to “study” right?
  • “…But I feel like I’m going to miss out on stuff at school.” Unless you’re planning on going abroad for a year, let’s face it not that much changes in one semester. The dining halls will have the same food, certain houses will have the same parties, and your friend’s will all go hook up with the same guys they did the semester before, no matter how much of a jerk he was. Don’t let FOMO (fear of missing out) stop you from an opportunity like this, because if you do then you actually will miss out on something really great.

Experiences like studying abroad must be lived through, not just talked about because there is so much more to it than what can be described on paper. Work hard and make it happen, anything is possible. Did I mention the guys have accents? 

(Pictures included are all taken by author)

Deirdre Cusack

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior Communication and English major at the University of Massachusetts. I love music, food, dancing, my friends and family not in that particular order but preferably at the same time. I am an avid reader and have always had a passion for writing. I have an incurable addiction to iced coffee, popcorn, Boston sports and anything that sparkles. I hope to one day live in New York City and pursue a career at Cosmo.