This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When someone asks what my favorite study spot is on campus, I have one specific spot I always refer back to. That is South College. Since my first month of being here as a freshman, I had always loved the South College building. Having a class there made me excited, and I always tried to look for classes that were taking place there. The mixture of old and new architecture, the big study space, and the many classrooms allow for a great place to have class, study, or relax with friends. 

As someone who is fully incapable of concentrating and doing any work in my dorm, I had set out my entire first semester in the search of my favorite study spot. I cycled through going to the library, the Student Union, the ILC, and South College. While all of them are great options and provide different qualities, I felt as though many left me quite distracted, specifically those in busier areas where there is constant foot traffic. However, after repeatedly noticing myself choosing South College over any of the other options on campus, I realized that it was my favorite on campus. 

One of my absolute favorite parts of studying at South College is the quietness. It is one of the quietest spots on campus and resembles a library atmosphere as everyone silently works with earbuds and little-to-no conversations occur. As someone who gets distracted easily, I need this type of work environment. Seeing others around me study and not being able to talk with friends due to the quietness motivates me to get to work and get everything I need to do done. Comparing how productive I am at the Student Union and South College, it seems as though I am always more productive at South College. 

I also love the architecture and surroundings of South College. Whether you work at the hightops, tables, or couches, you are surrounded by tall brick walls and windows that make it seem like you are not in Amherst, Massachusetts. The main courtyard inside gets ample natural light, and the lights are not too harsh or dim that you feel like you are going to sleep. 

Talking with my friends, they all also confidently say their favorite study spot is South College. Many of us live in Southwest, and it is one of the closer study spots on campus to our dorms that allow us a bit of distance, but not a 20-minute walk in the dark. It also is a great option for those who want to study with friends, but not get distracted. My friends and I frequently will spend hours at a time at South College, working next to one another but staying concentrated on our individual tasks.

Though I have six more semesters on campus, and possibly many more favorite study spots, I can see South College holding a place in my heart until my senior year. Its warm atmosphere allows me to escape and fully concentrate on my work, helping me in being productive and studying my best.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets.

Sara Keegan

U Mass Amherst '26

Sara is a freshman at UMass studying Political Science. Some of her passions include reading, going to concerts, and traveling.