A Love Letter to Autumn in New England

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Growing up, summer was always my favorite season (due to it being the time of year when there was no school, warm sunny days, and my birthday). However, as I entered my 20s, I began to appreciate autumn in a whole new light. I don’t think there is a more beautiful place to experience autumn than New in England, especially in Western Massachusetts. While I don’t love snow and freezing temperatures, I can appreciate many things about fall.

For one, the colors are amazing. I don’t think the world is ever as colorful as it is during fall with the red, orange, and yellow leaves. Yes, summer has beautiful pink sunsets, but those are only for a few minutes a day. You can take your pup on a walk and crunch through the leaves in your cute new boots at any hour of the day during the fall months.

I can’t write an article about fall without mentioning some great fall films. From Hocus Pocus (and its new sequel released in September of 2022 with the iconic Sanderson sisters!) to Practical Magic, When Harry Met Sally, and The Cider House Rules (which is totally worth a watch if you have never seen it), to so many other beautiful films (aptly set in New England). I also believe that Gilmore Girls deserves a mention in this article because even if it’s not really about fall, spending time in Stars Hollow is just like being wrapped up in a cozy cashmere sweater.

Now this might be controversial, but I don’t think I can choose between pumpkin spice and peppermint mocha lattes (from Dunkin’, Starbucks, or a cute local cafe)….however, from September (ok, maybe even August) to November, without a doubt, it’s PSL season. However, I will admit, the second the Hallmark Channel starts airing their holiday movies, peppermint mochas are calling my name!

So, go ahead and put on a cute sweater with a new pair of boots, grab your pup, and enjoy all the great things about fall in New England — apple picking, pumpkin patches, hayrides, graveyards, and haunted houses if you’re into that kind of thing, and so much more! In autumn, the possibilities are endless. Also, don’t forget the almost never-ending choices when it comes to delicious pies and soups…and maybe don’t be afraid to channel your inner ‘Sanderson sista’!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Julia Duprey

U Mass Amherst '23

Hi! My name is Julia Nicholas Duprey! I am originally from Leyden, MA, a small town on the MA-VT border. I am currently a Journalism major and I am a community college transfer student. I am interested in many different things such as women's, political, and disability advocacy, fashion, makeup, spending time with my animals (I love both cats and dogs!), and my family. I also love watching television and movies and reading. I aspire to be a personality on radio and or television. I am also the president of The College Diabetes Network UMass Amherst Chapter! My socials are: https://www.instagram.com/julianicholasduprey/ https://www.instagram.com/jndphotostudio/ https://vsco.co/julianicholasduprey/gallery