A Court of Controversy: My Opinion on Some of the ACOTAR Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Towards the end of spring and the beginning of summer, I started to read the book series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and I have to say, it’s one of my favorite series. Here are my opinions on some of the characters! Also **spoiler alert** if you’re in the middle of reading!

Feyre

Feyre. She does not deserve the amount of hate she gets! I feel as though people compare her character to the main character from the book series Throne of Glass and say she’s not as good as her. After reading about three-quarters of the ToG series, I see the difference, but they are two completely different people. Feyre, in my opinion, is a great female lead, who knows how to fight and is also overall trying to survive and care for the people she loves. She deserves to have some peace and not get backlash for it.

Nesta

I think Nesta is one of the most controversial characters in the ACOTAR series. She is very unkind throughout the entirety of the series and primarily only likes Elain. I don’t hate Nesta, but at the same time, I don’t like her either. As a middle child with two sisters, I cannot comprehend her hatred and disdain towards Feyre. I love both my sisters the same, but I feel especially protective over my younger sister because she’s so young. I understand that sisters do fight all the time, but she was cruel to her youngest sister and knowingly picked Elain as her favorite. In A Court Of Silver Flames, we see another side of Nesta that gives some type of explanation as to why she is the way she is. Even though she does get some redemption towards the end of the book and has character development, I don’t think she could be one of my favorites after seeing how she treated the people around her. I don’t think there’s any excuse for her to act so cruel towards Feyre and barely apologize for it.

Morrigan

When Mor was first introduced, I think like many other people, I loved her. There’s something about a strong female character that I feel like most women can’t help but admire. Don’t get me wrong, I still do enjoy her character, but I just feel as though she has some strong flaws that could have been avoided. It’s revealed that Mor doesn’t have any romantic feelings towards Azriel, yet chooses not to let him know. Mor doesn’t owe him a relationship at all, but what she does owe him, as a close friend of his, is an explanation and to no longer lead him on after all these decades. Something else that is mentioned towards the end of the series is what happened between her and Eris. She isn’t telling the whole story about what happened.

Eris

When Eris was first introduced, I automatically didn’t like him. He’s Lucien’s cruel eldest brother who hurt Mor, why would I? As the books continue, though, we see more of Eris and his different sides. Eris remains cold and arrogant, but there are scenes where he is shown to be different than his ruthless father. Cassian at the end tells him: “‘I grew up surrounded by monsters. I’ve spent my existence fighting them. And I see you, Eris. You’re not one of them. Not even close. I think you might even be a good male.’ Cassian opened the door, turning from Eris’s curled lip. ‘You’re just too much of a coward to act like one'” (A Court of Silver Flames). I agree with Cassian, I don’t think Eris is a horrible person, but he isn’t a great one either. I think he the has potential to be so much more but is too scared to act on it.

Am I being a little dramatic with these opinions? Yeah. But at the same time, that’s the fun part about books: getting really into them!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Diane Da Silva

U Mass Amherst '26

My name's Diane Da Silva and I'm a sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in English and Portuguese.